I Need some clarification

Hi,

I have started LM for my daughter since she was 4months old. She’s 8 month and half now. I wonder how she could learn those numbers up to 100 as well as multiplication, addition, etc. Could you share your experience regarding this?
any comment is appreciated as well.

thanks

Do you mean Numerals? Like 1 2 3 4?
The program runs through addition and subtraction. You can use numerals also there is a setting for teaching them in the program, but not for substituting them for the icons. Multiplication…well I have yet to figure that one out. :wub:
Once you finish LM curriculum, look to Jones Genius, marshmallow math or rightstart for expanding on the knowledge. Just keep going it will get clearer as you go along the path.

well… thanks for the reply however, seems I haven’t written clearly.
I use LM for teaching numbers as well as mathematics to my baby, but I sometimes doubt if she learns math
how can I know if she has learned anything from LM?

My baby is 16 months old, I started him with LM when he was 12 months. He hasn’t shown any signs of learning from the program, except for once: Many times I put the sound off and read the numbers and equations out loud to him, then by accedent, I said one of the numbers wrong, I think it was 27 and I said 29, he shook his head to say nooo, I corrected myself and he was happy to continue the lesson.

The testemonies and video’s for LM don’t really show any amazing results as with LR, but as I can gather, most children enjoy LR much much more than LM (as is also the case with my little boy.) If you’re not using it often and your child isn’t truely enjoying it, I suppose you can’t expect wonderful results.

Now here’s something else to think about: You talk, sing and read to your baby, never wondering; “Is she learning anything from this?” we all just naturally do this. Some babies show undoubtable responces to our “language lessons” from very early on, some even talk and sing during their baby years, then others seem like they’re not learning a thing, yet around the age of 3 years all of these babies (who had rich language exposure) can’t stop talking, singing and some lucky one even reading. In the same way we’re teaching them life skills and how to act, how to calm themselves down emotionally, how to fall asleep independantly, etc. and it takes tons and tons of “lessons”, doesn’t it? Then one day out of the blue, they surprise us and they can all of a sudden dress themselves.

I think it is at least safe to say that if your child is sitting through the LM lessons regularly, she must be learning something mathematical, but I’m personally not expecting too much from it. LM is only one of my son’s introductions to the world of math. I talk to him about mathematical ideas while we play, we have little books with math themes that we work through from time to time and as Mandabplus3 mentioned, I also plan on investing in other math programs when my son is older.

Great reply mamaofwill.
At the age your child is I doubt their is any really good way to test if he is learning anything except through blind faith on your part. If you do it regularly it is gaining into his little brain and making connections he can use later in life, you just need to trust.
The idea of the program is to develop subitizing. So your child can see 46 icons/dots and know it is 46 without counting. The value in this ability comes after the prograim is completed and further math skills are developed. Basically it’s easier to teach a kid that 7x7=49 if they really know what 49 is!
The way i see it is it only takes a couple of minutes a day and it can’t hurt. It does strengthen their number knowledge, I have seen that.
The only way you could test is to lay out two printed icon pages and ask baby to point at the one that shows 26… But only do this if you know baby will enjoy it, as testing is discouraged in early learning because it creates pressure. Also logic (required to get the right answers) is a left brained skill and your child is still right brain dominant.

Thanks all for the helpful replies
Actually, my baby likes LM more than LR and I just play them both regularly everyday.

My son has demonstrated his ability to identify quantity from the program, and my daughter has demonstrated conceptual understanding of quantity and addition/subtraction, which has carried over into using manipulatives. I think it’s laid an effective foundation for further math study and it’s a great place to start. Interestingly, there are some private schools that use LM to help their older students learn math concepts and to help them with memorizing their multiplication tables.

If you really want to test, get some cardstock and a bingo blotter and make up some cards. That’s how I figured out my son was identifying quantity, although I have not asked him to do it in a very, very long time. I am curious he still can or if he has crossed over to being more left brain dominant since then.