I need a non-QWERTY typing program

My husband and I use the Dvorak keyboard layout. I have heard that it is much easier to teach children how to type with Dvorak as well since all of the vowels are on the home row and other ergonomic factors. With the dvorak layout, they can make hundreds of words just on the homerow. I want to teach my 5-year-old formal typing lessons, but the barrier I’m coming up with is that, first, all of the Dvorak typing tutorials are more geared for adults, although I’m starting to think, “who cares?”. On the flip side, there are so many cute typing programs out there with cartoons that I know my son would enjoy a lot more. The only problem is, they were designed for QWERTY and show a lot of pictures of that layout during the tutorials.

Does anybody have a good typing program for kids that doesn’t show a picture of the QWERTY layout?

Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

I don’t know of any Dvorak keyboard programs for kids. Why not just use the adult one and call it a day?

http://www.typingweb.com/tutor/language/ <–This site may be your best bet to find Kiddish Dvorak lessons. They have several lessons, some games and you can put the layout on Dvorak.

Thank you! I hadn’t seen this site, and this is great! This is much more kid-friendly than the resources I had found. It shows the hands with the correct fingering highlighted, and that’s huge. Karma to you. :slight_smile:

Dance mat typing program is helpful our child to improve typing skills. It give you opportunity to meet the gang and learn to type and make your way through all 12 stages and you can be a top typist.

It’s cute, but it’s QWERTY.