How to teach your child when traveling!

Hello,

I am a new LR user from Hawaii and would like some advice from anybody who has an experience with teaching your child to read while traveling. I’ve started teaching my daughter to read with LR and flash cards as a part of her routine since she was 1 year old. She’s now 15 months and getting along very well with her learning, but we’re going to travel to Italy for about 5 months for my husband’s work. I am afraid that my kid’s learning will be distracted by the new environment. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. - N

Lucky you!
Will you be staying in a hotel for 5 months? I’m on the road with an almost one yr old as well! It’s been quite a journey for us, we’ve been travelling for 5 months now, and recently my little one signed back ‘clap’, ‘point’, ‘milk’, ‘ball’! I was thrilled!
It’ll be a great experience for your family, and the one-to-one learning dont have to stop!
For me, I brought along my laptop for LR (with a pc to TV cable), lots of DVDs and CDs, paperback books and some small-medium sized toys. Yes, there are lots of things that I wished I could do, but I try to manage with what I can…

Good luck!

Thank you so much, Baz. It’s nice to hear about your experience on the road with your little one. We’re now packing and kid’s stuff is quite a big deal, there are lots of things that I want to bring along too. We’ll be staying in an apartment during the time we’re in Italy and I just hope changing places won’t affect my kid’s routine and learning to read. I will try to manage it and keep teaching the same as I do at home, but I also want her to enjoy the new environment outside as well. Thank you so much again for sharing… Good luck to you as well and please feel free to share more anytime. I’ll enjoy reading too :slight_smile:

I would recommend LR on an iPad! The same iPad can also hold learning apps and an endless supply of books! I am often not home. LR on iPad means it all still gets done!
I traveled with my 2 year old in a camper van. We had very little space. We took almost no toys ( just her favorite doll) and a box of children’s books. She wouldn’t have survived without her books, but toys are available everywhere. Toys are cheap, replaceable and available free in the national parks we camped in. Pine cones, stones, shells, rocks… Kids need little more than mum or dad to be happy. I was also prepared to donate ALL the books we took and swap them for new ones once I was sick of reading them. If you arnt attached to anything you take it will be easier to replace it as needed.
I was surprised how easy it was to maintain routines. It seems we are just used to living our lives a certain way and continue our old habits.

ipad will be a good choice. :slight_smile:

hmm… time to convince my hubb to get one!!:stuck_out_tongue: