How to teach her to read silently?

Hello everybody!

My little daughter is almost 4 years old and reading easier little books with pictures. She likes very much to read and often reads to her toys or to me. Like in the beginning (she began reading a year ago) she still sounds out the words loudly. I told her to try to read silently, just to herself, but that doesn’t work…

Should she read silently or is it no problem, if she reads loud? I always think, this is slowing her down.

Any advices?

Regards,
Lolomama

Children often read aloud until they can read to themselves faster! I wouldn’t be worried about it. My son still reads aloud a year on! His sisters read aloud for about 18 months each then I casually mentioned that I didn’t need to always listen and it’s ok to read in your head sometimes :biggrin: it worked but the comment was " but I don’t know how to read in my head mum" so I had to explain thinking the words…
You can encourage it but don’t push it is my advice

It is one of the things that just happened with my oldest. I still mostly have her read aloud but she does takes books and read them to herself silently just recently.

Hi and many thanks for your answers! So that’s something, that’s going to be solved with time. Good to know! :laugh:

I will not worry anymore about this issue. In fact, I like, when she reads loudly, so I hear, if she has problems reading out a word or so… I was just not sure, if this doesn’t slow her down.