How to teach Dolch Words?

I’ve tried showing my 18 month DD PowerPoint presentations on Dolch words but she refused to see them after the third word at best. I suppose it is because there is no picture compared to other presentations/LR files that I’ve been showing her. So far she has never said “No” to other files with pictures. I saw some threads here that there are members who use DVD to teach Dolch words with great success. But they are out of my budget (especially after including the international shipping cost). How else do you teach Dolch words that cannot or difficult to show with pictures (eg and, the, to, will, it etc)? Thank you in advance.

Hi
I think they are great to use with the words your kid already knows bymaking a story, i.e. THen has a story “The Dog” where the baby can learn “the” and “can” if you teach other words beforehand.
http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?sa=view;id=3654

I agree, and although I have used those DVDs with success. I beleive Doman does not recommend teaching the Dolch words for just that reason but insteaad to incorporate them when you start with phrases/sentences.

I’ve introduced sentences to my DD but she doesn’t seem to like it that much. Maybe she has to wait longer to see the pictures as I use the pointer to run under the sentences while I just “flash” single words. (BTW, Is that the right way of showing sentences?) Maybe I should show her shorter sentences to keep her interest. Thanks for the advice.

shorter is the way to start, two words at first :smiley: That;show the Dog goes (in case you don’t have LR)

the dog
(picture)
can jump
(picture)

Hi cp, have you tried looking on ebay for the dvds? Also, maybe someone on the forum would sell you their old dvds at a discount if their child is way past watching them or if their child doesn’t like them.

Hi lucklucy

I’ve not tried ebay as the international shipping will probably cost more than the product price itself. Maybe I should try my luck. Thanks for the idea.

Hi Nikolett

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll do just that.

As my hubby always says, I’m a very inefficient person and I take very long time to do anything. I have LR for about 6 months and I only use downloaded files as I just couldn’t find the time to make any LR file myself and I’m not very good at computer stuff. Someone please please please upload more files with short sentences. Thanks a million.

there will be couplets and short sentences in the upcoming lr curriculum

Hi nhockaday

It’s good to know that. Thanks.