How to structure my days? Montessori? Multilingual families?

Hi !

I am a Parisian French expat mum in Canada and I just had a baby in October.
I have just started to write a blog and I would love for you to come visit !
http://miniskirtandspittingup.wordpress.com
I often ask for advice, tips, and talk about education and other little things…
Would love to have a guest post about BrillKids if some of you are interested.
I would also like to hear from multilingual families ! We speak two languages at home
and I would like to teach her a third language but I am not sure which one.
Any suggestions?

I want to do as much as I can for my daughter but there is too much out there and
I don’t know exactly where to start. I need something structured that would kind of
help me structure our days better.

I am also very interested in the Montessori philosophy of education and same here, I wonder
where to start and if she is not too young for it.

Also, what do you think of bumbo chairs? I would like to get one for my daughter so she can
watch her educational DVDs better than lying in her bouncing chair but I wonder if it would be worth it.

Looking forward to hearing from you here or on my blog.
Thank You !

Some parents structure their languages by the day (chinese on mondays & wednesdays, spanish on tuesdays, etc). Might I suggest incorporating sign language if you have not done so already to act as a bridge between the languages to improve comprehension and confidence?

It’s been a while since making this post, have you been able to make any progress with developing a schedule or have you gained any insight to share? We’d love to hear how you’re doing. :slight_smile:

You’re never to young for Montessori!

But it is harder to find infant ideas and philosophy.

When my youngest was around 5 months (we practiced Montessori philosophy with her, but had not yet hopped on the early learning bandwagon), she had a few pallets around the house where I sat her on to observe the family and play. Sometimes on her back and sometimes on her tummy. She had toys (usually simple balls, or household objects) I put just out of reach to encourage her mobility. She also had plenty of time in a sling (which isn’t found in Montessori books, but I think it’s a great way to show baby adult life and encourage lots of talking).

When she could sit up well, around 6 months, we got her a weaning table and chair. That is where she ate her first foods (always self feeding in a clear glass bowl with tiny metal spoon, or little pieces to pick up and eat). We also used a small open glass cup (shot glass size). We had fairly durable glass, but had a few breakages. It may sound scary, but it never was. I’m glad we went glass with both kids. It taught them that things are breakable and must be handled with care. She stayed at her weaning table for meals until she was able to climb into a (svan) youth chair and sit at the family table. She still uses her weaning table for lots of activities and snacks, even though we had to upgrade her chair for a two year old.

We also use a Montessori floor bed, which can be started at birth, or anytime after. You just have to have a completely baby safe room for this.

Sort of Montessori-related, we also started putting her on a full-size baby bjorn potty when she started sitting up. I just took her whenever I went, no pressure and I didn’t try to track her signals (eventually I did notice her poop ones). But hearing water or another peeing, often had her peeing too. It was so low pressure and something we absolutely were thankful we had done. She was potty trained really early and fairly effortlessly. The book Montessori from the Start suggests starting potting training between 12-18 months, and we followed those suggestions at that time but with our early potty experience, it was a breeze.

Have fun!