How to start writing with 28months toddler

Dear brill parents
Any one introduced writing to your learner?
My lil always want to hold pen or pencils to write.
She never leave my personal diary also.I have given her writing copy, large sized paper .Instead of several trying now i controlled her scribbling on the walls. :mad:
She is interested in crayon but loves water colors.
Right now i just making dots,and joining the dots to write alphabets,numbers,some easy pictures,shapes also.
she is doing constantly fruitfully but not showing so much interest on reading.
please suggest me to handle her with your awarding experiences.

Continue to give her opportunities to write. My kids loved writing on a chalkboard and dry erase board. Give her stuff to trace, write in the sand or the dirt, let her use her fingers and some finger paints to trace letters in the tub…My daughter always liked to write. She started around 1 1/2 years old. She will be 5 tomorrow and she has gorgeous handwriting and she is writing in cursive as well. As long as you allow her to continue writing she will succeed.

The book Young At Art has many great ideas as well.

KristaG thank you very much for Young at Art by Susan Striker book recommendation.
http://www.amazon.com/Susan-Striker/e/B001HCZU78/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

I bought kindle version of book today and really looking forward to reading it!

Happy Birthday to Olivia!

I did not start teaching hand writing to my DD yet,
but she had been drawing with crayons on daily basis for the past 2 months and I clearly can see improvement!
Yesterday I found Letter School app for teaching a hand writing and it is just awesome.
Of course my DD will be practicing using pen and paper, but this App is great way to enforce the rules of hand writing.

Iwini, thank you for starting this thread! Our Kids of the same age so this is hot topic for me too!
Will be reading with interest this thread!

krista G,
Thanks for your sharing,i must follow up.
The book and the link is great . :biggrin:
let me to add this book in her fun room. :slight_smile: belated Happy birth day to Olivia :slight_smile:
Thank you Nadia D for your warm welcome.

Thanks so much. It is actually Gabriella’s birthday. She is my baby.

Have fun with your budding artist.

Oops! Sorry KristaG, I thought Olivia is your youngest :slight_smile:
I was thinking to myself " what a tall 5 year old!" We have your “Action Words” DVD and Olivia did such a great job hosting it!

Happy Birthday to Gabriella!

KristaG , I just checked your website and found that now you have 4 Memoflix DVDs available!
how come their launch was not announced on BrillKids Forum? Or I missed your post about it?
We have Memoflix 1& 2. Both my kids love them.

I have been doing prewriting activities with my daughter for a few months because she seems to really want to write…she gets VERY frustrated when she says she is going to write her name and scribbles instead!
We have been doing some Montessori inspired grip-strengthening activities like clipping and unclipping ‘chip clips’, or clothespins, on the side of a bowl, and strangely enough, found an app called Bugs and Buttons where one of the activities calls for you to ‘pinch’ a bug on the screen and drag it to a jar! In just 2 weeks with a few minutes of play every couple days I have seen improvements…
We also have triangular crayons and pencils, but my daughter is addicted to markers…I ended up buying the very thin markers and putting those rubber triangular grips for pencils on them. It works really well, and she has always held a writing implement quite well, even without grips…
I just found a letter stencil, where you put the hard plastic tool on the paper and trace inside of the stamped out area…we did this first with large cookie cutters, then smaller metal letter cookie cutters, and now she seems really excited that (with the stencil!) she can do it ‘myself!’. I do have to secure the stencil to the page for her quite forcefully lol
One thing I tried that was a disaster! Maybe some kids have a light touch, but we bought a Crayola Studios Stylus for use with the IPad for her to write and draw! :wink: That lasted all of five minutes or the next expense was going to be a new IPad! I think she thought she had to force the stylus through the IPad itself?..hhmm. Maybe in about 10 years. The one we found was recommended for three and up, but…maybe with a feather!

NadiaD, I never did make an announcement about the new MemoFlix. I have been planning to. We have Volume 3 Consonant Blends and Volume 4 Word Families. We have them all packaged together now. You get the 4 volumes in one set along with our Guide To Teaching Babies to Read. The cost is $49.95, which is less than what we were selling them for singly, which was $19.95. If you buy them through this website http://stores.intellbaby.com/StoreFront.bok you can use the discount code 25%Madness with no space and get them for less than they were individually. You can always give away the extra copies to a friend. If you have any trouble, let me know and thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Hi iwini,

I highly recommend the book '‘Raising Confident Readers: How to Teach Your Child to Read and Write—From Baby to Age 7’. by Richard Gentry.

Dr Gentry explains how to foster reading and writing skills from BABY TO AGE 7, and I have found his tips very, very useful. He is an expert on childhood literacy and also a member of the Brillkids Team (director of the Advisory Board for Brillkids).

To learn more, check out the articles on his blog at http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/raising-readers-writers-and-spellers. Since your focus is handwriting, read his articles on children’s handwriting. Also read the other articles too (cos in the reading articles, he’s also given tips on handwriting too). And then get his book. His book goes into far greater detail than the articles on his blog.

Thanks a lot nee1
I learn t the useful link also. thank you once again.

You’re very welcome.