How to start with Early Learning

Hi

I have a 4 and 1/2 month old son.
I want to start with early learning.

Which products should I try first.
Give me some good schedules when and how often should I use those products.

Thanks a lot

I would also like to add I am a full time mom and have all the time on this earth for the baby.

In case you want to sell your stuff to me or rent it please let me know.

Kindly guide me

Thanks for reading

There are many, many options. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for a fair bit of research. Products & methods you’ll see discussed here a lot (and so, to research) include: Little Reader and other BrillKids products; the Glenn Doman methods; Your Baby Can Read videos; the Montessori method; Monkee See Monki Doo or whatever it’s called; Starfall.com and Literactive.com; WatchKnow.org; and many more. I am also partial to my own “Fleschcards” (http://www.mediafire.com/FleschCards) and presentations (http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?sa=myfiles;u=12952).

But more important than all of these for overall educational development, to my mind, is the importance of reading many, many books in the first five years of life. You know, the old fashioned paper things. Get good at making books lively to children, so they like to read. Place them on your lap while you read, snuggle up, use cute voices for different characters, point at the words as you read them (and, in the first couple years of life, point to the PICTURES that the word stand for, as well). You can get them from a library in bulk but planning to spend several thousand dollars on a bunch of books you OWN is a great idea (which our family has acted on).

I’m working on a very long (30,000 word) essay that explains the approach I took. Private message me your email address and I’ll send you a copy.

Thanks a lot Daddude

Others too please add your comments

Thanks again

I could write tons here about trying this and that. But just spend some time cruising around this forum and you well get more ideas then you can use.
Try reading “Teach Your Baby To REad” and anything else written by Glenn Doman. With that and the crazy amount of info available on this forum you can get a good program started.
Best of Luck!~

I started my son with YBCR at 3 months and although I am a SAHM, I didn’t always follow the program to the T as I felt that playdates, trips to the library, park, zoo and museum was also essential to build my son’s character. He’s now 16 months and has been able to recognise all the words on YBCR about 2 months ago. This program may or may not work for your child, but a least you have other options out there…I was only familiar with LR, TW, LM etc. this past week from this forum. There’s a wealth of information on this forum, you’ll just have to do you’re own research and consider which is best for your son.

I also agree with DadDude that reading is important. My DH and I started reading to our son while he was in the utero. He now loves books and can’t get enough of them, he started to choose his own books to be read to since he turned 12 months, My son scans through he’s books like a adult would while choosing a novel/reading material on a bookshelve. I now buy books every 2/3 weeks and I take them out of the library every 3 weeks.

Lots of luck with what ever program you decide to go with.

Hi DadDude,

I have a baby who is 1 month and 10 days and a kid who is 4 years old. My first baby I did try to do Doman method but once I have learned about it I got so overwelmed that could not follow through. Now BrillKids created a lesson plan with all the material ready for you to start the reading program which made things much much easier. It is hard to start a reading program when you have not too much free time and knowlage in how to do it. I was reading your post and I followed your links and watch your films. I was very impressed with the work you did with your kid. I was wondering how you worked the map skill and where you got the material for teaching. Can you share that with us too?

Thanks,
Regards,
Adriane

Adriane,

As to map skills we got a globe and a Natl Geographic map of the world. We just sat down and talked about the things at random. With the globe, we played “how about right there?” which involves closing your eyes, spinning the globe, and putting your finger down to stop at random places. I told him something about all the places we landed on. When we first started using the world map, often all I said was the name of the countries. This seemed to keep him interested. Later on I told him more. I am very sure that Doman-type country outline presentations would be helpful for one-year-olds but by the time we started doing them, he was more or less past the stage where the bare facts would have much interest for him. But I’m sure he got something out of the geography presentations that I did with him between 27 and 36 months or so.

As to where I got teaching materials, well, it depends. Books came from bookstores, Amazon, and the library, much was free on the Internet, we did get some stuff from a teachers supply store…but not much…where to get what supplies depends on the supplies which in turn depends on what you want to teach. That is the first thing to decide.

Hope this helps.

Dear DadDude,

Thanks. You made it so simple. I got myself lost finding how to make my Flashcards and it is so simple. You just need a Globe or a Map and play with it. There is no need of Flashcards with the picture of a map. What is needed is a note book with research data of each country and a map or a globe. So simple.

Certainly having a globe and some maps helps learning geography a lot, but I wouldn’t say that others could expect the same results that we got using this. It’s not just the tool but how you use it (as they say!), and different kids respond to the same thing in different ways and at different ages. So maybe flashcards would help somebody else’s kid just now better than a globe would…

The ESSENTIAL point, which I dare say is good advice for everyone and which I always try to bear in mind, is to stay creative and always look for better ways to teach (and to refine/improve the ways you are using now).