How to Sign Solfege ASL

http://munchkinsandmusic.blogspot.com/2008/10/teaching-your-child-solfege.html

If someone is really ambitious, maybe they would make a LR file for this!

I would like to do it, but it will take me a few weeks, I am swamped with other projects and of course, parenting. I would like to scan my Trebellina flashcards (but they are SO mangled from use! I will have to see if I can clean them up in photo shop) and add the hand symbols as well, and for audio, have solfege being sung as well as notes played on the glockenspeil and so forth.

Not quite sure how I am going to accomplish this yet, but I have had a real burst of inspiration lately that I need to pick up the pace when it comes to teaching my kids music.

Anyway, just thought I would share. Actual high res photos of hands might make a nice addition to LMu, just adding one more layer to multi-sensory learning!

After a little more searching I was able to find a video as well. I am going to have to save this and edit out all the junk before and after so it will be about a 10 or 12 second clip, but this will be great to help the kids practice solfege and add another multi-sensory element to their singing!

http://www.ehow.com/video_2372361_sight-scales-using-hand-signs.html

We are incorporating these hand signs in Little Musician. :slight_smile:

I cannot wait for LMu, it’s exactly what we’re looking for! Thank you so much for taking our suggestions to heart.

You’re probably already incorporating something about intervals, but if not, this was super effective for my daughter. This woman made another video about intervals that I played for my daughter two times and she tried mimicking and singing the notes spaced out in the same intervals after it was over…and she did a pretty good job on the first few! It was amazing how fast she was trying to pick it up. Just awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydREpCMGGok

Learning about music is so neat, it’s a shame I’ve waited until this late in life to start figuring it out!

And I wanted to add one more thing, I don’t know if you’re consider adding something like this to LMu, but I have been kicking around how to teach something like this now using LR.

I have been playing “call and response” or “call and repeat” games with my DD trying to improve her ear and rhythm expression with small hand percussion instruments. I haven’t been having much success just having her watch me and encouraging her to repeat my rhythms. She kind of gets it but it hasn’t sunk in 100% sent. We play similar games like this in her music class as well.

So I figured I needed to change my approach, LR has helped her immensely in learning long passages like the Lord’s Prayer very quickly so I know she responds very well to it. So I was thinking about making a LR file with one word on each screen, for example, something made to be played with a tambourine: shake, shake, shake, hit, hit, shake, shake, shake, hit, hit. But I wasn’t sure how to change the timing on delay, other than recording words along with it, or even silence just to delay the screen change. I really don’t want to manually change it every time.

I know this will also help with math skills and teaching patterns, which I also try to incorporate into our learning and play on a daily basis. But what if in LMu, you were able to incorporate a hand instrument section to basic nursery rhymes to teach the kids hands-on rhythm? I love the idea of my kids learning to read notes visually, but I always try to make it multi-sensory whenever possible. It could be simplified using words like above or even images/pictures for each tap, shake, whatever.

I don’t know if I explained this very well, but I wanted to mention it.