How to make children interested in sports?

Hey guys!

My son is now 4 years old. He is pretty active for his age and loves playing outdoors. My hubby and I don’t want him to get addicted to mobile devices and Computers as he grows up. We want him to be interested in outdoor sports and grow physically healthy. As fans of tennis and soccer, we would like him to love those sports as well. (A little silly, I know). What can we do to help him in that path? We have a big backyard for him to play football. We are thinking of contacting a court construction team to build a small tennis court for him to play when he is aged enough to play.

When we watch match in TV, we try to get him to watch it as well. Some times, he watches for a while, but when we thinks he likes it, he leaves and play with his toys.
Occasionally we go to live matches and take him with us. He likes seeing the ball moving to both directions. We really think he is starting to like the sport.

What else can be done to make him love sports (especially tennis and football) while he grows up? He already have small soccer balls, tennis bats and balls to play with. He plays with them, but seems to be more interested in soft toys, cars and other toys. We know kids these age are like that, but if there is anyway we could guide him, we would like to do it.

Thanks!

By age 4, children usually have greater confidence in their movements and strong opinions about what activities they want to do. Talk to a reluctant child about why you are encouraging him or her to play sports. Don’t make it seem like you’re just forcing them to try something without a good explanation. Let your kid know about your own positive experiences playing sports, but place the primary focus on the good things being active in sports can offer him or her.

You probably already know that sports can help teach important qualities like motivation, discipline, commitment, cooperation, perseverance, and resiliency. Talk to your kid about how developing these skills can help with schoolwork, making friends, dealing with good and bad days, and other day-to-day experiences. Don’t forget to mention the health benefits as well — things like increased energy, for instance.

Speaking as a 17 year old who is interested in sports and have parents who DIDN’T push, maybe you should just let him go through stages. Then, eventually I believe, he will come to like sports. When he becomes interested in one, push him to be the best. DON’T OBSESS it, but encourage practice time, and give rewards for practicing and such. I BELIEVE that most kids DON’T become interested in sports because their parents tried, it’s part of their personality. If he doesn’t like sports, try to find a sport that fits his personality. He’ll EVENTUALLY come around

I would say… the best you can do it engage in activities with him and provide opportunities

:blink: Want the children interested in sports, the best way is to accompany the children to exercise, let the children find a sense of accomplishment and happiness in the sport, if a person alone who is willing to do so boring sports

My son is very fond of playing basketball, I fully support him in this choice. But I know that some parents decide instead of the child, what kind of sports it is better to do. It is not right!