How to judge

Hi
I am a mother of 2 yrs old son.My son is very active.I have started using the little reader.And i m using slide show for spellings and all.My son loves to see slide show.I show him once a day or may be twice a day.I am showing him the 5 category simultaniously.But how i will judge whether he know the spellings of all those categories.And i m showing him those 5 categories for almost 1 week now.If i will ask him the same question say for example the colors he know all basic colors.But if i will ask him again again to identify the colors(not spelling of colors) he will give me the wrong answer because he is bored of repetition.And also should i teach him more no. of slide show categories or not? I also sometimes write and show him but sometimes he identifies correct answer and sometimes he doesnt.How can i ask him to identify or should i continue to show the same 5 categories for 1 more week?

Sapna

Waiting for somebody to solve my problem plssssssssssssss help me

Ok, few points to make here:

1. When you say “spelling”, I presume you’re not really talking about your child learning how to SPELL out the word, ie., letter by letter, because learning to be able to spell out words come very much later. For me, the order of learning is typically this:
  • learning how to ‘sight-read’ - ie., recognizing the whole word. Like recognizing a Chinese character, you either know it or you don’t.

• starting to figure out the rules of phonics - ie., starting to be able to associate different letters with different sounds, and also starting to figure out that words are broken up into different units (syllables)

• once having mastered phonics, being able to read any word phonetically

• being able to spell out the words and construct words

1. On the subject of testing, experts like Glenn Doman would tell you that you should NEVER test your child. For me, I agree with this principle, except I may have a different definition of ‘testing’. The key is to always keep it fun and light-hearted, so that it’s more a GAME than a pressure-filled ‘test’. And even then, we don’t often do it.

2. Repetition - If you follow Glenn Doman’s method to the letter, you would always retire one of the words from the Category and introduce a new word each time, therefore keeping the material fresh. Martina (pupisek) will be able to tell you more about this. :wink:

We’ve also tried to keep the materials fresh by having more than one pictures for each word, so taht it’s a different picture each time, and also to give you the ability to randomize many things like the order, the font styles and font colors, etc.
Children get bored very quickly and it’s very important that we keep the materials fresh.

1. It is NOT important that your child knows all the words before you move on to the next batch of words! If you try to do that, and if you keep testing him to see if he knows it or not, that would be setting up yourself and your child for pressure, stress and disappointment.

Always remember this: THE GOLDEN RULE IS TO KEEP EVERYTHING FUN. Your focus when doing all this should NOT be on the results, but on having a good time with your child and bonding with your child. If you keep to that, then results will be a very pleasant side-effect.

:slight_smile:

KL

Hi Sapna

It is vital to keep the material fresh, so your son does not lose interest. As KL was saying, Glenn Doman recommends you replace one card in every category every day (starting from the sixth day of teaching).

It is NOT important that your child knows all the words before you move on to the next batch of words!

How do you feel better about your child potentially not knowing a word you are retiring? The following advice from Glenn Doman’s daughter Janet might help to put your mind at rest:

After five days, how do I know whether he knows those words? It’s the number one question. The best thing to do in this case is you go to the mirror, you stand in front of the mirror, and you say, ‘Did I do it, three times a day for five days?’ If the answer is yes, move on. There are two possibilities: he knows it, or he doesn’t know it. If he knows it, it’s time to move on. If he doesn’t know it, he ain’t interested. Move on. Get new material. That amount of frequency - three times a day for five days; 15 times - this is a very high frequency for any age child.”

Hope that helps!

Maddy

well it is important question I think its better to show one categorie one day yes and one day no, or after two days but I have to tested it yet, my son like when we came back after two three days to see the same worlds,
well I will write more soon
ed.

I know now that we should to do every day all categories, so, :wacko:

Thanx to all of you.But my kid is not interested in flash card.So i make him to see our little reader.But in this case it’s diffult to retire 1 single word from the slide show.so i make him to see the 5 category of slide show and i make him to see once or twice a day depending upon his interest.And i think i can judge whether my son want to see some new slide.And so i add new slide accordingly and retire accordingly.i dont know whether this kind of pattern will help him to remember or not.And sometimes i make him to see 7 category 2gether.Actually my son is also like that if he knows something and if we ask that think again and again he will give false answer in that case.Say for ex :he knows all basic color (not word) and if i ask to regnise green color he will answer me red sometimes and sometimes he will give correct answer ie green.
Pls guide me whether i m following the correct pattern or not.whether he is remembering or not.

Sapna

Pls reply somebody to help my son…pls…

Hi Sapna

That advice from Janet Doman that I posted would apply to Little Reader as well.

Do you use playlists? They make it easy to add and delete words (without deleting them from the categories they come from). Also, the words are still divided into categories within the playlist, which makes it easy to make changes.

Also, do you use the random function? Because it’s important that you never show your son the cards in the same order twice.

As for him sometimes giving the wrong answer (when he probably knows the right one), could it be that he is trying to tell you he doesn’t want to be tested? If possible, don’t test him on anything for a while. Just trust that he is learning something - and remember that, at his age, he doesn’t need to learn anything in particular. If he learns “blue” for example but not “green,” it’s no big deal - he’ll learn “green” in his own time.

The aim of using Little Reader is to stimulate your child’s brain and also introduce reading at a young age, when it is easiest to learn. But you will get more out of the software if you let go of the results. Your son will enjoy the experience more if there is no testing involved, and children learn best when they are enjoying themselves.

Try to think of education as a gift - you give it freely and don’t ask for anything back (that’s also from Janet Doman).

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Maddy

Thanx a lot dear.

Maddy how do i use random function in little reader?

Hi Sapna, to randomize your playback, just go to the PLAYBACK screen, and on the right, second option down, it says, “Order”. Simply choose “random”.

Ta da! :slight_smile: