How to introduce other languages

At the moment we are learning to read but I’d love to add in some languages.
I don’t speak anything but American English though my father was Polish ( never passed it down, he assumed we’d pick it up but we never heard it enough to pick anything up from it). Anyways I’d love for my girls to learn a foreign language. But not sure how to really go about doing it since I don’t speak a foreign language. I’d love for them to learn Spanish, Chinese, Polish and German( I am both Polish and German… :rolleyes: )

How do you fit it in with learning to read? I do have a couple of slides from Brillkids on here with Spanish and Chinese, and am searching for slide shows with Polish in audio( I can’t seem to find any with audio at the moment).

Check out the helping each other teach multiple languages thread - there are lots of notes from parents on how they have done it.

We now treat each language (other than English) as something that we learn together we practice learning to read it together learning to pronounce together and learning to write it together. This is working well for us

Okay, thanks :slight_smile:
That is something we are doing , learning the languages together. Unfortunately I never learned anything else. So I’m going to have to learn right along with them.

Tracy,
My baby learned how to read in Polish from books. But if you don’t speak that language you can try Rosetta Stone. I see your kids are a little bit older and that program should be suitable for them. And, you can learn all along with them. I have Spanish version and plan to do that with my 24 months old baby.

marta

My husband was a missionary in Mexico and I recently got him to start reading Spanish children’s books from the library. It’s not much, but 5 minutes a day will help. Where I live in the United States, many of our movies have a Spanish soundtrack, so we have started watching movies in Spanish. Another idea is to find a bi-lingual child who lives in your neighborhood and hire them to play with your child in Spanish or whatever their other language is. A child who is too young to babysit is often eager to earn money, and you can pay them less besides. It’s a win-win situation. Since you will be there the whole time, all they have to do is play with your children, or read to them, and you don’t have to worry about safety.