How to help a child overcome fears having recurrent causes?

Since he was 3.5 months old our DD has been taken to hospitals for surgeries (at least once a year) or consultations, and clinics where he’s having IRM’s.
So he has 2 big fears related to sugeries and the fact of being hurt:

• fear of (getting in) an elevator (once or twice at a surgery we took him to the operation room using an elevator)
  • fear of his hair being cut (for each surgery they shave a small part of his hair where they need to make a small incision - and I believe they do that while he’s still awake or they did it at least once while he was awake, otherwise why would he have this fear ? )
  • the newest of fears: fear of someone hurting his hands (with each IRM here, in Romania, usually children under 6 or who can not stay still in the IRM are put to sleep using intravenous sedation) - this one is easier to overcome though

For more than half a year we haven’t cut his hair anymore - it was too terifying for him. But he needs a haircut… :frowning: Cutting his hair in his sleep is and idea, but not so pleasant or enjoyable for me. I feel like cheating on him.
And with elevators - we just stay calm and encourage him everytime.

In his case, to overcome a fear it take months or years. We’re patient and talk to him nicely and calmly everytime he reacts in fear of being hurt though he shouldn’t in those situations in everyday life I mean. (It’s quite understandable when we’re taking him to surgeries… And it hurts so much to see your child going through the same thing and having those fears for so long…)
When things are repeating as he still needs had surgeries, his fears will not go away so soon.

I’m thinking of making a book about his hair, showing him how good he looked and felt with a shorter hair, and teaching him that cutting one’s hair doesn’t hurt etc.

What do you think? Any ideas?
If your child has similar fears, with causes coming back more or less regularly, what do you do? What works in her case?

Andrea

Don’t be panic for that.have a patience to overcome the stress first.your problem is not only yours,it is happening to maximum of mothers and they are finding their way.Because i felt it recently.My daughter had fear for barber even if the hospitals.she was never allowed her to stand for the X-ray.But i make her confident.and finally i win.after failing several time then started playing with her doctor and patient.then cut her hair .Even I have to sleep with her at the time X -ray.
have some quality time .play and have fun.