How to handle a bully?

Today hubby brought my 32 month old daughter to playground. There is this little girl who went with her grandma and maid. This girl is about 3 to 4 yo. She followed my daughter all around the playground. Everything my daughter touches, or want to play, she block my daughter. Block the slide, refuse to let my daughter play. Everything my daughter touches or want to play, she used her body to block the toy so my daughter can’t touch it. The grandma just ask her not to do that, but can’t seems to control her at all. My daughter pointed at the swing, told my hubby that she wants to play swing, when the bully saw my daughter point at the swing, she quickly ran to the swing… My hubby just held my daughter’s hand and brought her somewhere else. I dont want my daughter to be too timid, running from bullies, if she tell the adults , in this case, the grandma and maid can’t do much… Neither do I want her to fight … What to do?

I’m usually very vocal. If grandma and the maid can’t control the child I usually pipe up and say something like in a nice tone “Excuse me sweetie, this playground is for everyone. We need to share, now it is DD turn so excuse me.” Usually once a child realizes that another adult who they don’t know is looking out for their “victim” they find someone else to pick on. My thoughts are if Grandma gets upset for you saying something, too bad. She should be trying to help teach her grandchild to play nice, if she can’t someone has too for the sake of everyone.
Maybe I’m just a loud mouth though LOL

I agree with Waterdreamer.

thanks waterdreamer. that sounds like a good idea. some ppl also let their kid ride on my daughter’s tricycle , without even asking. my daughter was playing bubble at that time, so i just let it be for a while.

I agree with Waterdreamer too. I used to be timid about correcting other children, but I got over it. Other kids were always bothering my polite well-behaved children. It feels awkward the first few times but soon you will feel comfortable teaching other kids to behave. It is for their own good anyway, because they will have trouble in life with poor social skills. So you are doing a good deed for the bully too. I try to treat it like a learning opportunity for all of the children involved. You are demonstrating assertive behavior for your child and helping the other child to develop good social skills. Even uninvolved nearby children observing the interaction will benefit from the reassertion of polite playground manners.

Good Luck, Lori