How to get them to read loud and clear

My almost 3 year old has been reading since she was about 2 years old. The problem is that when she reads she likes to whisper or mumble super fast. Sometimes it makes it difficult for me to understand what she is saying. So I can’t tell if I should say the correct word for her or not. If I know she said an incorrect word I will usually say “Oh, look at this word carefully it says Mat.” or something like that. I am sure it’s just a phase and eventually when she reads out loud she will speak loud and clear. But, it has been going on for about a year already and I was wondering if anybody had a similar problem with their little one and if they were able to do anything to help that phase disappear just a bit faster. I’ve included a video of her reading so you can see what I am talking about. It has been difficult to record her reading because any time she sees the camera all she will usually say is “Cheese!”. LOL Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are at a similar phase right now with my two year old. Although he knows the words, he tends to mumble and oftentimes will even add extra syllables. In his case, I think it is because his brain is functioning faster than his mouth can move at this age. He just reads faster than he can speak and so he is either mumbling while trying to actually read at his true reading speed, or adding the extra syllables as “filler”. I don’t know if that may be the case with your little reader or not.

When I notice he is doing this, I actually read every sentence right after he does. I try to do it quickly to demonstrate that reading quickly and clearly can be accomplished. I think it allows him to hear the difference between what he said and what mommy said.

BUT as we are still going through this phase (and may be for awhile), i can’t tell you how helpful this may or may not actually be. :unsure: I have high hopes!

Thanks annisis I think that is a great idea! I am going to try that from now on to see if it helps. I am really hoping this phase passes soon because it’s a little frustrating. I also think that her brain is reading too fast for her mouth to keep up.

Come on, most two year olds can barely articulate at all. But by the time they’re three, many are sounding better. Surely there isn’t a rush!

In any event, I think in our case what helped was that we (my wife and I) both enunciate clearly. Also, when H. has said something incorrectly, I usually repeat back what he said but correctly, preferably as a casual sort of answer to him (but never saying, “No, that’s wrong, here’s what you should say…”). Just as you do. But as you say, you shouldn’t do this too much.

When a child is two years old, you just can’t do that (much at all) when it comes to pronunciation, so I wouldn’t even try…and didn’t…

My husband and I are both clear with our enunciating as well (My husband had a speech impediment as child due to hearing difficulties and is very insecure about any of his own mishaps).

And I think you are quite right DadDude, the fact that he is reading is enough for us to be wholly impressed! Most two year olds don’t have the speech capabilities that I believe reading two year olds do. When we correct him, we do it in a rather playful way. Not at all asif we are really correcting him. We usually repeat the phrase or sentence in a very sing song and sometimes silly voice.

The only reason I truly feel this is necessary is because we have several family members that we constantly have to correct for speaking to him in baby talk (Just today I corrected my own mother for saying “I sowwy” instead of “I’m sorry”) And there are other parents and children that we come across that do this unknowingly.

Another reason, is that I know he CAN articulate as he clearly reads many words and sentences on a whim, it seems. And often, his actual sentences are very clear (“Can I please have a drink?” is now very unmistakeable)

Rest assured, I am neither forceful nor scolding. :nowink: It’s all still a game.

The only reason it is a little frustrating is because she will be 3 shortly and her everyday speech is very clear and VERY LOUD. Even at 2 she spoke clearly. I always get complements on her large vocabulary and her ability to express herself. For whatever reason she just doesn’t speak loudly and clearly when she reads. I am not overly upset about it. I just wanted to know if anybody had a similar problem and if they found a unique/fun way of getting them to read loud and clear.

Oh, I didn’t understand. I have a hypothesis about why some kids read this way (you can see others reading this way on YouTube). I think they are trying to “keep up” with their mental voice. They are not imitating speech, they are imitating what they “hear in their head” when they read silently.

I don’t know, but maybe you could, just once or twice, stop her and model how she should say it: “say it like this,” and ask her to repeat. That might not do any good, but it is worth a try. Probably you’ve probably already tried it…

Is there anything wrong with NOT correcting them? My daughter reads that way often and only slows down and reads clearly when I ask her to (for example, when I want to take a video of her). I have never corrected her because I wanted her to learn to read very fast and I thought that if I asked her to pronounce each and every word that would detract from her learning to speed read. Is there any advantage to asking them to read aloud each word aside from making sure that they know to pronounce the words correctly?

I think DadDude is right. That’s kinda what I was trying to say, but I think he worded it a lot better.

aangeles, I have had the same thoughts myself. When it comes to Josiah reading aloud, I encourage him to read correctly. If he is just doing his own thing, then I don’t bother him. For example, I leave his flash cards out where he can reach them whenever. If I listen, I usually hear him say everything correctly the first time he goes through. He will go through them many many times in a row, and each time… it starts to sound less and less like the actual words in front of him. I do not correct him when he is doing this, because he is not reading “to” anyone. If, however, he decides to bring me a flash card or a book and tell me what it says… Let’s say it says “The cat is running.”… and he says something that almost sounds like the sentence such as (and this is hard to communicate! lol) “Va cat isa tick-ticka runnina”. I simply say “That’s right. The cat is running.” I acknowledge his effort, but help him to hear the correct way to read the sentence aloud.

The difference is that the second time (when he handed me the card, book, etc.) is that he is actually trying to communicate that he knows what it says. For his own reading purposes, I don’t need to know what he is reading. And I don’t want to slow down his speed reading either. I have full and complete faith that he knows what he is reading, so no need to correct him. If he didn’t, then he would be bringing it to me to show him.

Going through books or cards together will often be similar. The first time through or the first few pages will be close to perfect. After that… it starts to dwindle which means one of three things: 1) he wants me to read them (which I will happily do), 2) he wants to read them to himself, but just wants me to be there or 3) he’s really done and just trying to humor me-- at which point, we are done. I just have to figure out what he’s feeling.

When I speed read I often read very quickly and in a muffled way outloud.
I think it depends on goals right now. At 2-3 are you wanting your child to work on become a competent reader through decoding and comprehension with speed. Or do you want to work on speech and reading aloud with good diction.

I think you could work on both, but personally I would work on reading and then introduce reading aloud with pace, diction and clarity at a late date. About the age of 5 or 6 when she can speak much better.

I never worried about reading clearly. My older daughter is now six and reads perfectly. These kids are speed reading. They are going through maybe 3 or 4 words per second, so they speak much more slowly than they read. What I do is have my younger child (age 3, probably 1st grade reading level) read some words or sentences while I read to her. This way, I can keep track of her abilities and find areas that I need to work on with her.

I also make sure that she reads by herself. She often reads silently because I can see her finger moving under the words. When she reads aloud, I don’t worry about the mumbling and skipping words. By the time my eldest was 5, she was able to read aloud clearly and very rapidly. She was so fast that it was hard to follow along. So, they will get to that point where they can read aloud clearly. But I would worry that asking them to do it too soon may slow their rate of reading. It may not but I wouldn’t like to take a chance on it.

My daughter often does this sort of thing too, or she will skip through & only say the important words in the sentance. This thread helped me understand it better:

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/skipping-words-when-reading-out-loud-to-herself/msg71169/#msg71169

This message has been deleted by TeachingMyToddlers as spam!
madvertisa@hotmial.com’s post count has been reduced by 1.

My daughter started reading really early as well - 1 1/2 - but when she used to read whole sentences, she used to use fillers as well. She is 3 1/2 now, and I can tell you, with age the clarity in their speech and reading styles gets better. I can remember seeing one of Felicity’s (KL’s daughter) videos reading very clearly and loud when she was a little less than 3. I guess it also differs from child to child and the regularity with which we make them do it. It all comes down to practice and a bit of growing up… I have to agree with fma001 - dont worry too much or ask her to start too early. Let her take her own time. That she has got here is brilliant in itself.

I have this same issue and my daughter is almost 5! Has nothing to do with speech. She speaks very well and very clear.
Just she’ll start to mumble her words as she’s reading and I was wondering , what in the world to do. I’ll let her read that way and eventually she starts to get louder, as she reads.

When we get a new book I like her to read it to me at least once out loud so if there are unfamiliar words that we can address that. After that I let her go ahead and read to herself if she wants.

I haven’t found a magic bullet yet to get her to stop. I’ll have to look at the one link someone posted. But I would think at this age I need to get her to stop mumbling her words or skipping words. I’m sure she’s speed reading but after she reads it I just go back and reread when she read. I don’t tell her its wrong or anything. If someone is home I tell her, read loud enough so Daddy can hear. He can’t hear you, Daddy wants to hear the story too, and she’ll get louder. So I found that to be a bit helpful. , But if we’re alone she’ll revert to mumbling.

I used to play purchased audio stories once in a while for my grade two students as a treat (or if I was having a bad day :blink: ). That paved the way for me to do recordings of their reading - they were SO excited about it!

At that point they were writing their own books, so I recorded them reading them aloud. They then took the book and recordings home to play for their family or mail to grandma, etc. It was a really good eye-opener for them (and their parents) about their volume, expression, enunciation, etc. And, they had no idea that the goal of it was not just for them to have a little keepsake for the year, but for their own self-evaluation.

Your kids might get a kick out of listening to themselves read a book. Or, they might just run away and say NO! Depending on the attitude of the day! lol