How to effectively afterschool?

Well how do you effectivley afterschool?

I have started S on IXL and she seems to be doing very well but wondering if that is enough? and there is so much to teach what do I choose that will benefit her the most? She is reading very well and Ii want to continue that and get her two years ahead in maths but what else? How do you fit it all in without going crazy?

I will enjoy reading all your replies! It’s hard work here at times after schooling!
Some things we do to make it easier.
I feed the children their afternoon snack while they work. Saves time and stops whining :smiley:
We use our time in the car effectively. We listen to educational audio, watch documentaries and read in the car.
We often do short activities in the morning before school. The kids are fresher in the morning.
If its hot I cool them down first. Icy pole, swim or shower or a cold smoothie. Hot bothered children just don’t learn anything!
We use bedtime story time for reading practice and reading extension. They read their classics at night time as their bedtime story. I jump from kid to kid for some read aloud time.
We use lots on non fiction stories. I read aloud often from non fiction. I also quiz them on the content randomly throughout the book. I figure doing this means they are learning and retaining more than your average kid would.
We set weekly minimum goals for each child. Their pocket money is linked to these minimum expectations. They get paid more/less/none depending on effort and results.
I join them as often as I can during their after schooling time. Although my kids are pretty independent if I sit nearby they get more done faster.
Keep after school activities restricted to 2 days or less. Last year we had 3 after school day activities and wee got almost nothing done. This year only 2 afternoons are full and we are getting much much more done.
Make anything you can fun. We play math games to practice math skills before Saxon. We play reading games until the children are fluent readers. We also act out their memory verses.
My kids get a LOT ( really really a LOT) of homework so we get at least half of it done over the weekend to take the pressure off.

Well, I’ll be also expecting the answers from this topic. So far I have so little time daily with my son, but he is still very young so it is easy. I can’t wonder what is coming.

Mandaplus3, I would be very interested in your nonfiction reading list. I also have a list of questions for you. :slight_smile:

I have a nine year old. She is right at grade level in math and above level in reading. Afterschooling did not go well, but since our recent snow days, she has really taken to it. I let her make her own schedule while she was home these last few days. She even asked me to print out two Saxon math lessons. This method seems to be going over well.

What kind of math games do you play? What are your favorite reading games? What are your favorite short activities in the morning?

We are listening to Story of the World and fun children classics in the car, but most of my audience is 4 years of age and under. I seem to struggle with making it appealing for all audiences. We are going to be starting some fun math and science songs from Peter Weatherall in the car too. Any other car favorites?

When your children are reading classics do you find them struggling with the vocabulary, and do you remedy the situation?

Also do you post your expectations on some type of chart or is it just a verbal understanding?

thanks!

We use technology ALOT, but my 7 year old is more likely to comply on the computer then he is with a worksheet.

I give him a snack and he starts with:
1 Web Math minute worksheet
20mins Explode the Code online
20 mins Dreambox
1 Web Math Minute

THis week I’m hoping to faze in a few worksheets from Singapore Math.

THen before bed we do his home reading from school and tag team read a chapter book. ( I read the left pages and he reads the right pages.)