how to develop intrest in colouring and writing?

hi

I am a mom of 29 month old boy. Can anyone give any idea on how to make my child interest to coloring and writing? My boy doesn’t have so much interest in this area. I am kind of worried about this. or is it too early to be worried?

please help… : :rolleyes:

My oldest was this way. I found if I sat with him and drew fun silly pictures at the same time as him he became more interested in the process.

try to draw things that interest your child.
I started drawing fish, duck etc which my child likes.
I show her how to trace my hand, now she is doing it herself by tracing her own.

hi fazy,
my son(3yrs) initially had no interest in writing or colouring. when ever i gave him crayons or colour pencils he was bored very fast. I then tried different methods like spray painting, finger painting etc. here are some ideas that i followed.

Teach your child finger painting. Just dip your childs finger in colours and make him do impressions on a papper. you could teach him to make a peacock or a flower using his finger.
Vegetable painting - just chop an okra and dip it into some paint and make impressions on a paper. This would look like a flower.
Also you can try spray painting using a tooth brush.

Trying different methods would help bring more interest in writing and colouring. my son has now started using crayon and he can also write few alphabets like A L O.

Have you read the book Young At Art? It is a wonderful book that encourages parents to start their children with art early. The way she suggests you do this is to designate an area in your home for art. Keep the supplies out or where you child can see them and use them whenever they want. I agree with the other suggestions, do it together, it will be much more fun.

Thanks a lot Nirupa, i will try those methods. those ideas are great.

Krista G, thanks for sharing this information about this great book. Now i am reading it and its relay wonderful.

hi moms,
my son is 3 years 3 months and i wanna get him ready for writing ,do u think i start with him by coloring first as we will be filling white spaces with crayons(noted that he did it b4 but he used to scatter the crayons everywhere so i stopped with this for a while) :unsure:
or should i start with those work sheet that makes him trace different kinds of lines and curves,circles?

OMG…I think I am the happiest mom in this whole world…u know what my son who refuse to painting and coloring and also who had a short interest in paintings now wants to do paintings all the time.

Noureldeen, just provide him with many different colors and things that he can play with colors just like i did and let him be free with his ideas while u do your coloring with him.

What I did was I made a special area in his play room for painting. I kept all his colors and brushes where he can reach and any kind of things that he can play with colors (like:beads, sponge…etc). he use to dip the beads and sponge into colors and make amazing paintings and i also paint with him in a different board. Then at the end i give comments to both of us drawings and let him comment on us too. he use to make my painting more colorful by applying the missing colors and lines. This way it is really wonderful.

Again I want to thank you Krista G for providing the info about that wonderful book (Young at art) and u 2 Nirupa for providing me some ideas on this.

Congratulations! That is awesome. I am so happy for you. I loved that book from the first page and just knew it was special and it falls in the category of early learning as well. Great job, Fazy!

Thanks gr8 fazy. way to go:)

Krista G, would be gr8 if you can tell me the name of the author. cos, i cant find that book in the nearby book store. (I live in India)

Tks
Nirupa

Here is the link to view the book and the comments from others through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Young-Art-Self-Expression-Problem-Solving-Appreciation/dp/0805066977/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262889168&sr=8-3

hi,
thank you for great ideas!
I am using a book ‘‘First Art : Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos’’ by MaryAnn F. Kohl. It is also very inspiring. When I am choosing a very messy activity I try to do it before the bath, so my two year old son can have lots of fun and I do not have to worried about him being covered with paint:)
it is so wonderfull to enjoy the art process!