How to build a crawling track

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I want to build a crawling track. We have the book “How Smart is your baby”, it shows the picture but we are not sure about the materials. :confused: Has anyone built one? What materials did you use? Were you able to build it so it folds? How much approximately did you spend?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

Just in case anyone knows… our daughter is 5 months old. Is it too late to start using the crawling track? :closedeyes:

Anyone??? :wub:

There’s one here that is made of foam but does fold.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q="crawling+track"&page=1&qsrc=2417&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kaboodle.com%2Freviews%2Finfant-crawling-track

here’s a video of one of the members here using the above crawling track: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=crawling+track&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dqz5DF9xCckA

Thank you staceycanada! I had seen this link, but if you try to buy it, it doesn;t take it anywhere :frowning: Anyways, it is out of my budget :frowning:

I’m actually trying to get some information from people that maybe built one, so I can get some tips. I have a friend that is willing to help me, but he needs the correct information. I’m looking for the polyethylene foam that is the material they used for the one gentlerevolution used to sell, but I have not clue which one it is! :confused:

Just for trying to help me… karma to you! lol

I decided to post this kind of update in case someone in the future looks for this subject. :smiley: I didn’t hear back from anybody that had already built a crawling track, so we decided to do it however we could. :wub: Neither of us is very crafty, but we do have a couple of crafty friends :smiley: . One of them helped us to built the wood part. We decided to have it fold for easy storage (like the one gentlerevolution used to sell). Today I dropped it off to my other friend to help me upholstery it. She is going to make kind of a matt upholstered in case we want to have a cover, so we can remove it ans wash it. The wood and the hardware for the wood part was US$40, plus the foam and the vinyl was US$75. Our friend didn’t charge us for any labor, so if you are not handy (like us :frowning: ) this may not be the best option. We also thought about using a couple of yoga matts instead of the naugahyde, which may work. The only thing witht this is that may daughter has very sentive skin and rubbing her face against a yoga matt was not the best idea.

I couldn’t find a crawling track already for sale. But if you find one for around US$150 it may be worth to pay it. Again, some people may have a better idea because they are crafty people, but this is the best we came up with. :huh:

We are hoping our friends has the track ready this week so our daughter can start using it and the next baby (whenever that happens) can use from an early age.

Stupid me, but what is the crawling track for? Besides the obvious, to help the baby crawl? Does it have anything to do with intelligence? I have never heard of it before. lol

You are right - the crawling track serves to stimulate your baby’s creeping and crawling activities. What Doman suggests is that developing your baby’s motor activity (along with a program of other sensory stimulation) in a systematic fashion leads to increased neural activity which, in turn, leads to overall heightened intelligence. Doman states that a physical learning program is just as important in your baby’s brain development as a reading learning program.

Hi,

Together with my husband we had also built crawling track. At first it was for as a challenge because we have no flair for “do it yourself” things. But we did it!. We are from Poland and whole operation costs us approximately 30 USD. We bought all materials in DYI store. It was: plywood, naugahyde glued with foam (is was prepared for door covering), upholstery glue, few screws. Plywood was cut at our request at the DYI store. So we only had to nail particleboards up, glue door covering to the frame and woila. It wasn’t so difficult. Our two-weeks son has inaugurated our work of art wit a success :biggrin: