How "Perfect" do the notes need to be to teach perfect pitch?

I just started a different thread about testing your instruments to see how close the pitch is to what they should be. One of my glockenspiels is surprisingly close with many of the notes being absolutely dead-on.

Obviously perfect sounding notes are ideal, but how “inaccurate” can the notes be to still be effective when trying to teach perfect to a young child? Is there a certain percentage?

Makes me want to go drop $225 on walker tuning forks, but that won’t be happening any time soon unfortunately!

I dont know anything about music. Nada, nil, zilch, and all that other stuff, however, I would think that you’d want a very, very, very, very slim margin of imperfection if any at all could be allowed.

You cant teach imperfect reading and math and expect perfect performance in these areas unless you correct.

It just seems that if you teach imperfect pitch, they will learn imperfect pitch…

But again, I dont know anything about it. I am not musical, though I would like for my children to learn both Piano and Violin and I hope that they can sing better than me.

I can tell I’ll spoil my kids rotten by giving them so much if I’m not careful but its a risk I’m willing to take to teach them all the things I would’ve loved to learn as a child. Such as music, foreign language, math, etc…

I am curious about this, because when listening to the “world” (music, car horns, anything and everything with a pitch) those pitches are not necessarily perfect. But yes, a perfect note to compare it to would be best but most of the time ears will be hearing imperfect notes I would think?

I might take a video of me testing my glockenspiel for fun today showing the needle measuring the pitch and post it here for some feedback. Clearly I live a loooong ways a way from my family on Christmas LOL, hubby and I are just hanging out watching the kids play with their new toys all day. Here are I posting on BrillKids on Christmas! :laugh:

DH gave me a hard time because they got too many “school supplies” for christmas lol

I’m curious, what is the main benefit of having perfect pitch? I am going to expose my kids to several languages as much as possible from early on and try my best to raise them in non-native Spanish and give them a working knowledge of Simp. Mandarin Chinese via programs like LR and WinkToLearn. I’m assuming that my husband will be non-native English and I hope he’ll teach the kids his native language.

I expect that growing up with exposure to so many different languages, plus tons of CD’s and and videos and audio of various langauges and such will give my children an “ear” for language. There are many talented musicians who can play by ear, but I doubt that they have perfect pitch. What is the point of perfect pitch?

I believe that musical ability is enriching and stimulating and would like for my children to learn to play piano and violin well and also anything else that they might like to play, but I dont understand “perfect pitch”

The short version- they are born with perfect pitch to some degree. I think it’s up to me to do right by them to expose their ears to the right training in the early years to allow them to keep and further develop their God-given gift. It will open up their world musically should they choose to pursue that passion later in life. We will be encouraging violin/piano for brain development purposes and to instill a love of music, it may come in handy for them.

This is obviously a “sales” site (for an adult program) but I liked the way they balanced the importance of perfect versus relative pitch. And the article below it was printed from Suzuki magazine which is definitely a reputable source.

http://www.perfectpitch.com/perfectrelative.htm

http://www.perfectpitch.com/suzuki.htm

For me, I wouldn’t consider any instrument which is more than 1/2 a semitone off.

I have an app on my phone to check the pitch if ever I needed to make sure. Alas, I need the app cos I don’t have perfect pitch. :slight_smile:

KL, I have the same app that I used to test the glockenspiel to begin with, I am going to take a video clip of one or two notes and post it here and I would love your feedback.

The app is also great for practicing scales and getting immediate feedback (for me–not my kids, I’ve never even attempted to use it on my daughter, nor would I want to at this stage).

No problem, go ahead and post it! :slight_smile: