How many programs do you do?

I’m sorry if these questions have already been posted, I looked through the topics and couldn’t find the answer. I ordered the whole set from YBCR, it includes flash cards, dvds, books, etc. It should arrive this week. I had no idea any of these programs existed so feel as though I’m getting a late start on my daughter’s early learning lol . My daughter is 20 months old and loves books, we read a lot together. She speaks very well and likes to learn new things. I downloaded the LR program and showed her the animal playlist today. It was a huge hit, she kept asking for “more please!” My first question is should I be doing just the YBCR set? I just read a little more about the Doman method, but haven’t read the book explaining it all. Do people do Doman and YBCR? How do you then incorporate the LR material? From what I have read it seems as though the key is keeping your child’s attention and making sure they are having fun. Perhaps you could tell me what you do and what order you do things in? I know that every child is different but am just not really sure where to start. How long do you do each thing? Thank you for any help. I feel as though I’ve walked into a whole new world!

Every day Gabriel watches one or two YBCR videos (he only has to watch one now b/c he is on the review DVD. It is recommended that your baby watches them twice per day up until then). We also have the YBCR books, word cards and sliding word cards, so we do those throughout the day too.

We also play 5 categories of Little Reader and one set of dots from Little Math 3 times a day.

I also do the encyclopedic knowledge program along the Doman lines. We do those flash cards 3 times a day.

Before bed we watch 1/2 of a baby signing time or signing time DVD. We used to watch Tweedlewink, but Gabriel was having problems communicating so I wanted him to watch the signing videos instead. We will go back to Tweedlewink sooner or later.

We also play classical magic almost every day and we read books throughout the day.

All of these sessions are short, so there is a lot of playing time in between. We spread everything out throughout the day. Some days we are not able to fit everything in, so encyclopedic knowledge and classical magic are the lessons that we forgo. But normally, we can fit everything in, provided Gabriel is receptive.

I’m about to go to bed, so I’m sorry that I did not go into much detail. If you have any specific questions, you can pm me, and I will get back to you tomorrow.
Oh, and you can do any and everything that you want, provided you and your daughter are enjoying it.

Hello Amanda, there is a lot of information in this link:

http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/gentle-revolution-and-glenn-doman’s-method/msg17531/?topicseen

Hope this helps you .

and welcome to LR !!!

Gloria

I started teaching my daughter to read four months ago when she 12 months old. I have also been doing some maths with her, but not regularly.

I did find that the routine for teaching her has changed over and over again as she grew and as different things became more exciting for her. She’s not a child that needs a very strict routine it seems. At the moment I do flashcards with her at bath time and also show her words in her room early in the morning. We do one session of LR at the moment and I am only showing her stories with words she knows on LR at the moment (we did loads of categories at one stage, but her reading vocabulary has grown fast and I am finding her more receptive to stories now)

The one thing I found was that it is better to start with what YOU can manage - don’t overload yourself at the beginning - your child will cope, but if you can’t manage or feel overwhelmed it will not help your programme. Perhaps start with just the YBCR DVDs and when you are managing fine showing them twice a day you could start using Doman and Little Reader too.

In one of Doman’s books he found out that everyone who had tried to teach their child to read had succeeded no matter what method they used, so you can combine any techniques that work for you. The only rule that is really important is to have fun. (I would even forgo the rule about keeping their attention - you’d be amazed how many words my child learnt when I thought she wasn’t looking or paying attention)