How many lessons a day? (Flashcard Method)

Hiiiee guys.

I have a few questions about the flashcard method.

It says on the site, that you teach the cards in sets of 5, 3 times each day.

Does this mean you teach 5 cards from EVERY category 3 times a day?

Example: A set of cards from the category “animals”. Do you teach the same 5 words from “animals” 3 times in one day, then the same exact cards the next day, 3 times in that day too, or do you use 5 different cards?

Also, if you have 4 categories, and you teach 5 cards from each category 3 times each day, isnt that a too many lessons? That would be 15 lessons a day! Is that what the instructions are, or am I just confused?

If i have the wrong directions, please correct me and tell me what is right.

Not from every category, but 3 categories that you have chosen for the day. This is a general guideline, and can be modified according to your child’s interest.

According the the Doman method (if you choose to follow it), you would retire a word and replace it with a new word for every category, every day. However, not everyone does their lessons according to the Doman method. I, for example, play whole new categories every day. So if I play animals, shapes, and colors today, I would play dinosaurs, body parts, and birds tomorrow. I think this keeps things much more interesting for a child.

No, that would be 3 lessons a day. You show all the categories in one session, wait a while, and then show them again, and again later. So your child actually has 3 sessions of 20 cards (if you are showing 4 categories with 5 cards each) 3 times a day. If you flash them fast, a 3 or 4 category session will only last a couple of minutes.

I hope I cleared things up, if not, let me know.

Thank you SO much nhockaday!

You have cleared everything up so enormously well. All my confusion is gone.

Thakss again! :biggrin:

Good! I’m glad to help. Just let us know if you have any more questions :smiley:

I think everyone does it a little different depending on the child.

I do the same 4 categories (about 6 words in each category) 3x/day. So my baby sees the same 24 words 3 times a day.

And I do those same 4 categories for a few days in a row, then I change it up a little.

It pretty entertaining for her and showing 4 categories only takes a couple minutes and then she’s off playing again.

That’s right. Three categories of five words is a general guideline. I started with playing 3 categories, 3x a day. I would change categories every day. Now I show five, 3x a day. The categories have various amounts of words.