How I taught James to read.

I finally wrote out the process we went through to teach James to read. Other than dabbling with letter sounds we really didn’t start teaching James until he was about 22 months. From 22 months to 40 months he went from just knowing letter sounds to being a first grade reader.

I should note, we used apps because we had an ipad that we got because of James’s speech delay. But really I don’t think apps are necessary. You can do all the same things with cards and letters.

http://littlemanlogic.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/how-i-taught-my-tot-to-read/

Great job! I think it great that you put this together to share. I think its very important for us to record how we teach reading to babies, toddlers and young children. Its really going to pave the way for others.

Thank you. I regret not keeping a record as we were going through the journey. I know there is a lot I have forgotten. I know we did other stuff. But in retrospect, this is what we did that worked. And it wasn’t time consuming, and it doesn’t have to be expensive or even difficult. We just did a lot of reading. That is what worked best.

Next goal is to go back and write about our math journey.

Thank you for sharing! I always love reading about how other moms and dads teach their children at home. I can see if there is something different I want to try with my girls

This has motivated me to do the same “How I taught Chloe to read”. I also wish I had taken more notes as my memory is getting a bit fuzzy. But I’m giving it a go cos it was interesting to read James journey and someone may find our journey interesting also.
Keep up the good work.

I would love to read it Kiwimum!
I love reading things like this. Seeing what works for others.

I would love to know about your math journey and what programs or apps did you use. I’m following Doman’s style of teaching math right now but I’m not very consistent with it. I simply can’t do 3 times a day as suggested in his book because baby turns and walks away. Sometimes baby would even wrestle the cards from me LOL :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing it with us!