How does your child go socially with other kids their own age with the EL you do

Hi Everyone?

I was just wondering how your child fairs in social situations with other children their own age? My child is quite advanced academically age but i get reports that she has her days if the other kids come near her she can scream and yell and gets terribly upset and then other days she plays fine? I understand that socially it is all a learning game at this age but she does not seem to tolerate children her own age too much and prefers older kids? Has any one else found this?

Sometimes my kid likes or is not bothered to exchange toys and play fine with other kids, either younger or older.
Other times, he likes to have what he wants and screams and cries if some other kid is chasing him for the toys he’s holding. Or he cries for toys others hold and are not his but he wants them badly! :smiley:
He prefers older kids and enjoyes when one of them likes to play with him - though at times this transforms into an amusement for the older one… Or at least some of them try it but our son gets bored or gets the idea if the other child doesn’t know how to play… :wub:
I don’t remember where exactly, either in a book or article, I’ve recently found that kids, till they reach a certain age (6 ? ) usually they don’t play with each other, but they play independently though they stay together with other children - it’s normal they say. They become more social oriented after they reach the “school age”.
Our son sometimes surprises by acts of love - he likes to embrace children as he always likes to embrace us. For him this gesture means he likes that person, likes to be around and play with him or her (same attitude with animals).

Oh, he’s never showing himself off. Especially when we’re outside the house or outside our family. But sometimes he names things or beings in another language or likes to sing a song. Still that comes naturally and rarely. Usually, in society, he’s acting like a normal, sociable Romanian child of his age :wink:

I have this neighbour coming over to my house almost everyday with her 12mo boy to play with my 18mo girl. Just recently I started thinking to make it like a once a week activity when my girl keeps hitting her boy in the head (he has a big hard head but that’s not an excuse!). She enjoys his company but she likes to hit his head or pinches him and when she does I will sit her down and tell her that it’s not okay to do that but my neighbour would laugh or smile eventhough I said not to. (my girl will put her hands in her waist and mimick us). I’m afraid my girl will think it’s funny and take that as an ‘ok’ to hit people. Same goes with her 12m cousin girl and other 17mo boy (neighbour of her cousin). She plays well with them but will be much of a conquerer of the toys-even they’re not hers. She plays well with other 6-8yo kids and never caught her hitting anybody or being hit by anybody. To this group of friends she will be much of a giver-let’s play this and that, I have this and that etc. I can say she is an active and loud girl and funny too. I will try enrolling her to toddler class and make her meet more children her age.

In the picture shown my girl (standing) hitting the boy in the head and his mum (the running legs) rushed in to ‘rescue’ him…
:huh: