How do you write letter "d"??

I just became aware that there is some ‘debate’ as to how the letter “d” (lower case) should be written.

I’ve always written it starting from the circular part, similar to how I would write “a”, like this:

http://www.meddybemps.com/letterary/little_d.html

But it seems like many people write it starting from the top, drawing the line down first (similar to how you would write “b”), like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXzcXhOCPFE

Anyone know whether there is a correct way, or why there is a difference? Is it a British/US thing?

Tell us whether you write “d” like an “a” or like a “b”!

In Australia we were taught to begin from the circular part! :yes:

We start with the circle.

I start with the circle, but the way kids are taught is different than the way we were taught. There is a fairly new style of writing that is taught now, and I don’t even think "d"looks like that anymore.

In cursive or Print, I write it beginning with the circle part, interesting , never thought it could be done any other way!

The “new” style of writing I was referring to is called D’Nealian. I believe it is taught to all children in America now. The reason behind it is to make learning cursive easier for kids. Here is the D’Nealian way of writing “d”.

http://www.first-school.ws/t/alpha1_dn/d.htm

In cursive I start with the circle, like the “a” and printing I do it like a “b” starting with the line.

well it’s a problem with me I’m beginning with a circle part or starting with the line and then the circle, I thought it was indifferent, but it’s better learnig baby in one way
I’m doing “a” on two modes: with circle and the line or just like tipe “a”, in one words writing two different “a”
well it’s time to learn correctly writing again :wub:
ed

Script b, cursive a.
It’s true, teaching cursive right away streamlines writing. Here in Hungary they don’t teach script at all. A lot of capitals are simpler but at the same time “script” looking too.
I choose a style.

I ask everybody in the house to write letter ‘d’. We all start with the circle.

Circle first as Shuki says that’s how we are taught in australia

When writing in cursive I start writing the circle. when I print I start with the line. Funny.

I teach children to write like an “a” first…I think this is the British way of writing it. :smiley:

Ya in Ireland we teach starting with the C shape- also much easier to help distinguish between b and d if there a difficulty there - “cd player” following the same movement for c creates the d and “hb ice-cream” following the same motion for h (down- halfway up -around) is similar to that for creating b. :slight_smile:

we start with the circular

So it looks like we have 2 people (Nikolett and Cassidy) who start with the line when writing in script, and everyone else starts with the circle first in all cases.

Useful to know!

You know this is really weird. If a d is a reverse b then why do we write it differently?? I thought it was a strange topic ("how can you not know how to write a d!! I thought). until I read the thread and tried it out myself. From the circle, if writing a sentence, but when asked to just write a d on its own, from the top initially. But why dont I write b’s fom the circle. It’s illogical. And p’s and q’s are from the stick.

Looks like our alphabet writing is growing :biggrin:
In cursive I always write from left to right what comes first,
so b and p stick, while q and d circle and I think that’s the practical way to teach a child. I never heard of a q from a stick :blush:
Cheers

I write the circle with the “d” first, but with a “b” I do the line first. :slight_smile:

I had to write it out to see how I do it, but definitely with a b I draw the ligne first, and d I sart with circle first. As NIkita says, we write from left to right, so it makes no sense to write the circle on the b first, or to draw the line on the d before the circle part… one would have to think about how much space to the left of the line to leave for the circle of the d, and cross over to the left of the line to make the circle, and cross back to make the following letter.