How do you know your child is learning?

Hi i bought both LR & LM and have been showing them to my dughter for a month now, how do you know they’re “getting it?” I mean do you test them and how, I’ve read a lot of post saying their children can read already, how did you test them? my daughter is not yet speaking but is already “mouthing” words. Should i get the binder to see if she can really read? or if she is only following the voice in LR? What about LM? :wink: Thanks in advance.

At the age of your child you know they are learning the same way you know your child is learning to speak - you presume - one day they show you and you have to be patient. There are ways of testing but it is not advisable -same as you woudn’t keep trying to get your baby to say something she hasn’t yet said.

I started with my daughter at 1 year of age and it took 2 weeks for hert o show me that she knew the word dog - she said “doh” and looked at both the word and our pet dog when she said it. Some children do not show their parents for months and months, but eventually she will. You also don’t have to worry about knowing whether you are going too fast or too slow (obviously if she demonstrated what she knew this would be easier) but see it the same as talking - you adjusted your own speech to her when you saw she could say things and you will continue to talk to her in more advanced language as she grows older - it is natural, but you do not say the same word over and over until she says it - you would have driven yourself mad saying only “mama” to her for the first 6-8 months of her life if that was the case. So you can keep going with the words and same as with the speech while she may not be remembering every single one, she is learnng and will continue to do so.

Most children demonstrate a much greater amount of knowledge by 2-3 years of age - it sounds ages away, but those early years fly by!

Nicely explained Tanikit.

Thanks. This was very encouraging! :slight_smile:

Here’s a quote from our FAQ:

Some parents who started early (eg., at 5 months) started noticing that their child can recognize some words as early as 9 months. Some parents who started later (eg., at 2 years) notice this even after 1 month. Some parents have reported that their children never showed any signs of learning for many months, until suddenly one day they read out words that they see in the street.

See here for the rest of it:
http://www.brillkids.com/teach-reading/frequently-asked-questions.php#q7

Some kids just love to watch and you see them reacting to some words - you know what they like most, for instance. E.g., he smiles or laughs or repeats or his eyes sparkle when he sees some words or actions or images in LR.
Mine knows a lot. But shows/speaks only what he likes most - toes, mouse, hug etc. Mostly it’s a connection between what he sees on these programmes and what he hears me doing with him. If I play often some games, activities or I just name or describe usual things he sees or that we do, he likes to repeat and show that he knows.
But mostly, he talks about something else or likes just to ask for LM and LR etc. without showing what he knows.
On day, we just hear him say something he heard only once in a video or LR. Then we have fun together using those words.
So they suprise us, no need to test them. They show us when they feel like it.

Andrea

When my daughter started to read I knew by her signs…she will read a word and then make the sign for it. it was very easy for me to know she was reading. Now she is almost three and of course she can read books by herself and loud! She really enjoys it…After she opened all her presents on Christmas she opened her new books and ignore all the presents and dedicate more time to read her new books.

You can tell by the signs they make. Sometimes they will do something to show they know the meaning of the word. Sometimes you just have to be patient. when my son really started speaking I found out he knew way more words than I could have imagined. He was storing all the knowledge up and just one day decided to spit it all out. :slight_smile:

I show math since 4 months and reading since 7 months, and I do not test.
I think he (11 months) is following. Because he is very happy when I show new materials and he becomes slightly bored at repetitions :slight_smile:

With new material I mean - new words, new numbers, new equation type. If he would not learn, he could not see a difference :slight_smile: