How do you know your baby is reading if they aren't speaking yet?

How will i know when my little girl, whom has DS, is getting it or not? Will i not know if she is reading until she is able to speak?

I used to ask my son to go get me the cards. Like, if I wanted to see if he could read the word Dog, I would spread the flashcards all over the floor, then asked him to get me a dog card. If he picked the right one, I assumed he could read lol. :slight_smile:

My son did not like flashing but I could try to play word hunt game with him from time to time.

Thank you:) Why didn’t i think of that? lol Word hunts are a great idea.

We followed the Doman method of not testing quite strictly - probably more so than necessary, & very, rarely tested. Sometimes it was excruciating not to know how she was doing & to continue to just input, input, input, but really paid off in the end & I have a daughter who reads anything she gets her hands on & loves it.

K was about 22 months before she consistently started reading words outloud.

I found out that my son was reading before he was verbal by having body part words and action words in the mix. Whenever I said “head” I’d tap my head, for “ears” I’d give them a tug, for “nose” I’d say “beep, beep” as I pushed my nose…or “kick” and I’d kick my leg up… He began reading the words before I verbalized them and would touch his body part or do the action on his own accord. I assumed that if he was reading these, he likely would be reading the other words as well.

For anyone who read my last reply before I edited it, don’t ask me where all of those extra words came from! :tongue:

I just want to add to what Kizudo said. I know someone who used action words like wave, eat, kick, etc so their child could show his knowledge before he could speak.

I made a game of hopping, crawling, running, etc to word cards I put on the floor. Also I’d say show me _________ with body parts or even pictures of the the thing.