How do you do it all? What qualities do superparents have :-)

Hi! I am new here, and awed as well as panicked by all the great things you are doing with your kids. My first son has special needs and I feel like we are starting so far behind the starting line that I get overwhelmed a lot and then I don’t have the time I need to put into my “typical” child. I am finding that I am having to “redesign” myself in order to be the parent I want to be and to do the things that I want to do for my kids.

So… What qualities do you have that enable you to be the parent that you want to be? Did those qualities come naturally or did you have to work on developing them? Any tricks and tips that make things easier?

As an example - so far for me this has included things like working on my own health and sleep so that I have the energy, trying to develop organisation skills, turning off the internet so I can’t fudge out net surfing :-)…

Hello CedarMoon! :happy:

This question is an interesting one, and I think it might be helpful if I talk about what I’ve observed and noticed about some of our power mommies and power daddies in the community. <3

First off, and I think most importantly, we have parents here who just love going through the teaching adventures with their children. The most successful ones we’ve noticed are the ones who were focused on the bonding experience they have with their children, and not the results. I think that above everything, this is important, since we’ve also seen quite a lot of parents who get impatient (Why isn’t my son talking by now? Why isn’t my daughter sitting still? My child is soooo behind! :wacko: )

It’s fine to be impatient once in a while, but what we always try to remind people is that the whole learning to read, do math or sing in perfect pitch is just a byproduct of this learning journey. Those are just wonderful wonderful side effects of what you do when you teach your child. The goal is to ENJOY the whole process, to create happy moments with your child (whether or not your child gets things right sometimes), and to show your child that learning isn’t a chore, it’s a FUN and AMAZING experience.

I’ve also noticed that in their own way, the successful mommies and daddies do try to be CONSISTENT. I guess this is where organization comes into play, but keep in mind that how some people may approach being organized can seem like chaos to some; it will all depend on what you can fit in your schedule since we all have different ways of tackling the day (plus children all have different needs we need to attend to!) The important thing is that they TRY and are PATIENT; and in trying, they have small successes.

Another thing is that because these parents keep their eye on the prize (ENJOY the whole process) they can also be FORGIVING of themselves and their children. It’s okay when you skip a day, or when you don’t get all the things right. :blush: The “trying” is important too, and it’s nice to reward or pat yourselves on the back because you have the best of intentions and you had a blast trying anyway.

As for TIPS… hmm. We do have a few tips for teaching which might come in handy:

Make Lists!
Well, lists are such an easy way to handle a seemingly-overwhelming day, and it’s just soooo satisfying to cross things out. :smiley:

Plan Ahead… Even a Little at a Time
You know how sometimes you find yourself with 5 minutes of quiet after the kids are asleep? Use 2 minutes of that to just quickly write down what you plan to do for the next day. You might be amazed at how much lighter things get when you go through them the next day with you knowing exactly what to expect for your next activity!

Don’t Be Afraid to Ask For Help!
Not all super mommies and daddies go through the whole parenting thing alone: sometimes a spot of help doesn’t hurt! 8) Sharing activities between mommy and daddy and even getting aunts, uncles, and grandparents involved make the load feel one million times lighter - and everyone gets in on the fun this way, too!

I’m also a firm believer of “There is no monopoly on great ideas” - so you being here in the forum and asking is already A GREAT START! :yum: :yes: :clap: The parents here would be more than happy to share what works for them, and this way, you can get ideas on what might work for you and your day, and you’ll step back from your computer time just a little bit more empowered and excited to tackle the day.

I hope this helps in some way! :happy: Do keep us posted on your experience!

You made my day Lappy !!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :clap: it was a awesome encouraging message to all moms out here…seeking ways to improve our experience of early learning with our kiddos !

I’m with you on the note that…always don’t expect an output on what they read / taught today…just enjoy the whole experience of learning and playing …every step is rewarded…just that we might not notice the actual face of the reward but for sure every moment spent in this fruitful effort of learning early has tonnes of goodness packed in it for your kids future, hurray to LR for supporting that :slight_smile:

• Cheerymom , happy learning ! :hi5s:

Wow Lappy! Thank you!!! That was a beautiful message and exactly what I needed to hear. I am going to print that out and put it where I can remind myself. Thank you for taking the time to write and share :happy: Is that karma button for showing appreciation? Can I hit it a few times? Thank you, that really helped!