How do I teach POI?

Hi

I just started teaching Encyclopedic Knowledge. I am getting confused on how to teach POI? Do I read one fact from each card for five days and then go to the next fact? or? What is the best way to do this? I am so confused.

Stephen

Any ideas? Thanks for the help:)

Stephen

The way Doman says to do it is to go through all your Bits (pictures) one time; you’re supposed to have 1000 of them. You just say the name of each Bit. So, for instance, if you had a set of Birds, you would take 10 bird cards and show them to your child, saying, “Robin, Blue Jay, Crow, Cardinal, etc” all the way through. You do that 3 times a day for a week (5 days). During the same week, you would be showing two other sets, say Great Inventors (“Thomas Edison, etc”) and Paintings by Van Gogh (“Sunflowers, Starry Night, etc”), each set 3 times a day. After five days, for any set that has more than 10 Bits, you take one picture out and put in a new one every day (remove Robin and put in Bald Eagle). Once you’ve done all the Bits in a set, you retire the whole thing and start a new one. (Replace Great Inventors with English Poets.) Do this until you’ve done all 1000 Bits (or however many you have).

Once all Bits have been shown once, you start the real Programs of Intelligence. You go back to the first Bits you showed, and use 5 at a time instead of 10 (because POI take longer to read than Bits) and read the first sentence on each of them (“The Robin has a red stomach. Blue Jays love to steal human food at parks. Etc.”) Do this 3 times a day for five days, just like above, for 3 different sets. Then start retiring one card a day and putting in a new one every day until the set is complete. Then replace it with another set.

Cycle through all 1000 cards doing the first sentence on each. Then do the second sentence, and so on. He does say that as you do this more and more, your child’s memory will improve and you will not need to show a card three times a day for five days; you’ll go down to four days, then three, then maybe only twice a day. But he says to do all 1000 each time before going on to the next level of information.

Very few people do Encyclopedic Knowledge exactly the way he recommends, though. So feel free to adapt!

Hi,

Thanks so much, I will put it to use. I started the program and I do it three times a day, and he loves it. We already did: shapes, fruits, farm animals, emotions, and body parts. On my way to 1000 :slight_smile:

Thanks again

Stephen