How do I move on from here?

My daughter has a large reading vocabulary now (she is 29 months old) and can read basic level 1 books, however if there are more than about 10 words on a page even if they are in big font then she won’t read them - she says the words are too hard then and I must read it to her. Which of course then I do do.

I don’t want to upset her, but the fact of the matter is that she can read all the words in these books and can read the smaller font size too as if I point out only one word in any book she will read it. Is this just an age and concentration issue and must I just move slower for now and gradually increase the word number per page or is it something I am missing here? She does like to read and chooses books herself to read, but makes up the words if she thinks there are too many on the page.

Going from single words to sentences to whole books is definitely a process. My son knew hundreds and hundreds of words, but to read them smoothly in a sentence took time. He also didn’t like long pages. They are overwhelming for them. I think it is best to start with short books and gradually build up from there. I also think that just because they can read long sentences doesn’t necessarily mean that they want to. I wouldn’t push too hard for fear of burning them out, but just keep reading short books and keep it fun.

We’ve had the same problem since our little boy started reading. He’s now 3 years 9 months and reading better than ever, but he’s really not willing to “perform” for me very often. But he’ll read for relatively long periods of time by himself, silently, and even to his mother. He’ll also willingly read long and unusual words from signs, menus, etc. … but when it comes to books, it’s usually pretty hard.

One thing we do is say, “You read one sentence, then I’ll read the next,” or “You read one page, I’ll read the next.” There’s a series of books built on this concept (something like “you read to me, I’ll read to you”). I don’t like them much, actually, but we have the first one.

I’ve had a number of theories about why he’s reluctant, but I think he basically feels pressured and on the spot, and being read to is a lot more fun. I suppose it makes some sense that the kids feel pressured, because they’re constantly being read to, and they couldn’t imagine reading out loud that fast. Think of it this way–you’re being taught to play piano by a virtuoso, who has a teaching technique which mostly involves you listening to him play. Then he says, “OK, now you play.” You can play all right, but nowhere near as well as the virtuoso. Playing for him will seems intimidating and no fun.

Thanks for the replies. She may feel pressured although we have never specifically asked her to read aloud to us except to leave out some words and point to them (then she says them) She herself picked up a book the other day, opened it and told me it was too difficult. Luckily we have a library quite close with a lot of beginning readers and her confidence is picking up with the short books.

I have started reading longer books to her so that she hears longer stories too and her concentration for that is increasing gradually. When we get books out the library and I am unsure whether she will be able to read them I let her read til I know she doesn’t know the word and then just fill in for her and usually within a sentence or two if the words are repeated she knows them.

I guess it is just an age thing. Krista like you it did take a while for my daughter to read sentences and even then we had to gradually increase the number of words. These days we can put whole sentences from long books on the wall and she will read them fine - but give her the book she has read all the sentences for and she can’t quite do it.

I have often wondered and thought that maybe we should be spending more time on couplets, phrases and sentences for that very reason. Just because a baby can read hundreds of words does not make them able to read fluently. I think the best thing is to keep reading to them and gradually building up to longer passages, but there is really no rush. I have found that my child will read anything and not complain about the length if it is something that interests him. During school time if I ask him to read something that he doesn’t want to he makes a big fuss. On the other hand, when he wants me to hear something he follows me around the house reading to me.