How do I get my daughter interested in storytime

Hi All

My 7-month old daughter loves LR & LM and lots of other right-brain related apps on the iPad.

Hwever I am unable to get her interested in looking at books. She looks at them and wants to put them in her mouth. I have been trying storytime with lots of expressions, voice-changes etc. to get her interested but she gets bored within a matter of minutes and the urge continues to put those books in her mouth. I would really like to get ideas on how to change that.

Many thanks
BT

Give her two books.One to put in her mouth and you manage and hold the one you are reading to her.
Be prepared to swap with her.
Let her take the lead and have fun.

You could try lying down next to her and holding the book over you while you read - this really helped my little boy (6 months) to become more interested. Another tip is to give her a small chewy toy (this is my current favourite http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Healthy-Start-Training-Toothbrush/dp/B002UXQRKM) so that she has something to occupy her mouth and hands while you read.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try with giving her a book and then reading another book…fingers crossed it works.

Thx
BT

Hi, I’ve got a 10wks old daughter. I’ve tried to sit her on my lap and flip books in front of her reading out loud n showing her colourful pictures. Am I starting reading too early? She only shows interest for about 5mins.

Thank you.

My son used to hate reading when he was little. In fact he hated it so much that whenever I pulled out a book he would run in the other direction. Now he loves reading. The most important thing, I never forced him to read. I didn’t want him to have any negative feelings about reading lingering in his subconscious.

Something else I did in those reluctant days, was to flash read to James. I would read simple books, mostly concept books extremely fast. I would reread them and after a few times of reading them rapidly I would slow down until he was willing to sit for books at a normal pace. I did this over days or weeks, not in one sitting.

Another thing I did was pull out books and sit on the floor and read them aloud to myself. I made sure I exaggerated my enjoyment. Eventually James would wander over and sit with me. If mummy was having fun, it must be fun too.

Thank you for sharing. I’m wondering if I started this too soon for my daughter ie at 2mths?

Honestly, I don’t think it is ever too early. 5 minutes of attention is pretty amazing. Those 5 minutes will grow.
Also she doesn’t need to always see the book. Even getting her familiar with your voice when you read will have a positive effect.

I often read aloud to my babies. I read to 2 of them before I even left hospital. My voice calmed them.
If your children don’t want to look at the book then change your focus. Focus on Phonemic awareness. Use poetry to introduce rhyme and rhythm. Also sing nursery rhymes until they are familiar and then try to read a nursery rhyme book. The pictures will be a welcome addition to the familiar tune and words.
It’s never too early to start reading to babies. :slight_smile:

Thx All. I have been singing nursery rhymes to her since day 1 and she’s recognised the nursery rhymes since about 10 weeks old. I can get her to listen to me…it’s just the looking at the pictures etc. in the book which doesnt seem to be happening beyond 5-10mins. I tried giving her a book to bite/put in her mouth and the other for me to read from & show her the pictures/words etc. and that seemed to work to an extent…so I am going to build on that.

I went through a similar stage with my son, he loves reading and being read to now, though I’m still learning how best to introduce new books to him. At that age books are kinddda meant to be chewed in love :smiley: Try to get lots of touch and feel textured books, books with mirrors or finger puppet of flaps, book that do stuff basically. Wordless picture books are also good as well as single concept books for baby related images you can talk about. It’ great if you can get them to see books as toys.