How did you teach math?

I know a lot of parents on here have taught their children math successfuly with LM and doman math method. I was just wondering if anyone else had any other technique they found worked for their children.

Has anyone tried the chinese abacus method to teach Maths?

They do that in Heguru - it’s a Japanese Right Brain training program similar to Shichida. They show flashcards with pictures depicting the abacus. I really don’t know how effective it is because my son has only been attending Heguru for about three months now.

As I type, Felicity is at an abacus class! :slight_smile:

Abacus lessons are wonderful. For me, the main reason I want Felicity to learn the abacus is NOT so much so she can do rapid arithmetic calculations, but because she will have to IMAGINE and VISUALIZE the abacus in the mind, and this is excellent mental imagery practice!

LM v2 will include an abacus functionality. :slight_smile:

I’ve always been interested in abacus and it’s good to know that new version of LM will have this! I’m excited! :slight_smile:

wow!!! that woud be great, I love abacus :biggrin:

I love the idea from KL abt mental image while learning the chinese abacus.

Does anyone know any good chinese abacus near Petaling Jaya, Msia?

Hi!

I actually have a question regarding using the GD dots cards. Is it true that most babies won’t retain the skill of perceiving the right number of dots in each card beyond age 3?
What do you know about this?
I just started teaching these cards to my 3 month old, and when I read this online I wondered “what’s the point then?”

Please advise, or share your experience. :happy:

Thanks a lot!

I’m not an expert on all things Doman, but this is the math method as I understand it. Babies are born knowing how to tell quantities. They just need us to tell them the names of those quantities. But they only retain this gift until the age of 2.5. So you will be able to teach them math with this method until that age. They don’t lose the knowledge you teach them, they are just not able to recognize quantities after that. So if you teach them math during this time they retain it, I guess. Lol

Hi FlashMom11,

Doman Mom’s posts (see below) helped me to understand Math more clearly. I had read “How to Teach Your Baby Math” by Glenn Doman but did not understand many aspects until I read Doman Mom’s explanation.

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/phone-conversation-with-the-iahp/

http://grhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2008/11/math-mystery.html

Good luck with math. It is fun, but not easy reinventing dots (or other objects and images) over and over to retain a toddler’s interest. :wacko: :laugh:

Mum.

I was told by the institute that this is usually true, but with children with special needs, like autism that this window may be open for longer

Does anyone use the Vedic system?

we use the beestar for my dd. it’s a a curriculum-based online programs for kids. It includes many subjects, such as, math, english language arts, vocabulary, science, and etc. there are 2 exercises every week.before dd takes that, we get prepared with some materials it offers. besides that dd can compete with many kids from different states for the ribbon and name in honor roll. I think it’s really great for kids.

Lisa

I am reading about the Vedic system right now. Thanks, I had never heard about it. Very interesting.

Yip, I found out about it quite a while back but have been taken up doing the newborn course with my second son. Now it is time to get serious. I would love to hear if anyone has used it with their kids and preferably if there is a non-online system that they used.

This is how I understand the Doman problem of toddlers not retaining the ability to see quantity: They may not be able to see how mant dots are there anymore, but they do understand still that 11 is more than 5 and that numbers and the figures we use to write them indicate quantity.

I have seen some children who just learnt that 5 is five. They have no clue that 5 represents a quantity which is bigger than 4 or smaller than 10 and that is what you teach your baby. My daughter knows that 5 sweets is more than 2 sweets and can ask for more because of this (drives me crazy - I want 3, no 6, no 9 sweets - with a grin on her face)

I don’t think it matters too much what method you use as long as the child knows that numbers indicate quantity, that addition means the quantity gets more and subtraction means the quantity gets less and so on. You want them to understand what is happening rather than just know a formula off by heart. Anyone can play the numbers game with a formula, but how many know why it is that way and what it really means?

I have taught my daughter mainly by counting and using real life situations to introduce addition and subtraction and the concept of more and less. I did do Doman cards with her when she was little over 1 years old, but have stopped that a while back. I would like to start a Math programme with her soon.