How did you come up with your baby's / babies' name/s?

Here’s how we got ours…
Our son’s name is ELIAM JESU MATTHEO. Quite long huh? :slight_smile: My husband and I are devout Catholics and we wanted to have a Biblical name and one that would be a variation of our names.
Thus, ELIAM, from Amiel, which means “God is with us”. Just recently I looked it up on the internet and one result said it means “descendant of Amiel”. Very fitting huh! :happy: MATTHEO is from my name, Ma. Theresa. We just made it into masculine form and it means “Gift of God”. And JESU, from our saviour, Jesus. We really wanted to have His name and place it in the middle, to pay tribute because our son was born despite a very difficult pregnancy. :happy:
How about yours?

Great topic. Another karma point to you! :wink:

Gabriel’s dad said he always liked the name, and I thought it was very nice.
Gabriel’s middle name is Bryan, after my dad. I always wanted to have my son’s middle name to be Bryan b/c my dad is a very important person in my life.

Gabriel means hero of God or strength of God, and Bryan means strength, virtue, honor. So he has a very strong name! :biggrin:

My sons name is Castor Von Linden (last name not enclosed)… His first name my husband chose from the constilation Gemini, I am a Gemini. One morning woke up early and thats the 1st thing he said “If its a boy we’re naming him Castor” “cool, I like it” I thought… its greek meaning defender… or spanish for beaver…lol… Von Linden literally mean “of the lime tree” I dont remember how we chose his middle names, but I have 2 middle names as well so I wanted my sone to have 2 also…Do I get Karma for having the most original name?? lol

‘Ashley’ came from my Dad’s family. There are 5 other 'Ashley’s in the last 4 generations, that we know of. I live in the UK, and we wont get to see my family very often, so I really wanted to have that link there. My Dad got to write my Ashley on the family tree in our family Bible and I know it meant the world to him…

Hey Brittanican, I just gave you one! :slight_smile: Your son’s name is quite long too! And last name’s not enclosed yet :slight_smile: Our son’s full name is Eliam Jesu Mattheo Gonzales Dizon. :slight_smile: My mom said he’d get mad at us for giving him a very long name. Because all his classmates might be done with their tests already and our son hasn’t even finished writing his name yet! :smiley:

I had an ex-boyfriend called Eron Destry Sundown Clancy Parker. lol

What were his parents thinking?

I want to name my babies old Arabic names of historic people so they have role models to look up to :wink: Some of the common Arabic names nowadays are after great people too but I am looking for other less common ones … we’ll see :wink:

Matteson Rhea is named after her great grandfather Matthew who turned 100 this past April. He goes by Matty and the thought was that she would be Matte as well, but mostly I call her Matteson…others call her Matte and I’m ok with it. I don’t know…it just dosen’t sound right to me when I call her that. :wacko: Her middle name is my middle name and also my husband wanted to come up with an “R” name in honor of his father Richard who died in Viet Nam; so Rhea worked out well. :smiley:

Hi! Well my 17 yr olds name is Alaina Fern, Alaina (Ah-lay-nah) is a name we just liked & Fern is my husband’s maternal grandmother. My 11 yr olds name is Gary Maurice, Gary after my father (who passed in 2005) and Maurice after my husband’s maternal Grandfather (who is also passed). And my 9 yr olds name is Alice Karleen, Alice after my paternal grandmother and Karleen after my husband’s mother. And my baby’s name is Aubri Lynn, Aubri a name my husband liked and Lynn after my husband’s paternal grandmother, and also his sisters middle name. So their names all have family meaning in them. Which now means alot!!! My father (Gary) died of cirohsis of the liver, :frowning: his brother had the same thing but was able to get a liver trasplant. And I found out 2 weeks after my father’s death that I had the start of it, (Fibrosis of the liver) and will need a liver transplant in the near future. My father and I were very close. My husband’s grandfather (Maurice) was more liked a father to him, which he needed so badly. And helped him out so very much. When we both lost them, it really hurt us, but they live on through our kids. And now I am so glad my kids have the names of deeply loved ones in our family.

Hi Nikki! Gabriel was on our list too b/c it sounds like Amiel, my husband’s name. :slight_smile: But now it has become one of the most popular names here in the Phils., so we just crossed it out. We wanted our baby to have an original name :slight_smile:

Really? You don’t hear it too much here.

My daughter’s name is Liana Althea. Liana means “My god has answered” in Hebrew and Althea is a Greek word for “Healer.” My husband and i almost broke up before i conceive her. It was all my fault. But thanks God Liana came, God answered my prayer and healed all the pain i caused him.

My son’s name is Joaquin Honesto. Joaquin was a name I always liked and Honesto is my Father-in-law’s formal name. Being the first male grandson to carry the last name, my husband thought it was a good idea to put his dad’s name. That put a smile on my fahter-in-law’s face. :slight_smile:

Coming from the Philippines, a lot of the last names are either of Malay, Chinese or Spanish origin. My husband’s last name and my maiden name are of Spanish origin so we thought it would be appropriate to have a Spanish name.

Hey

I come From India, and the ame of My Child is Chinmay.

Chinmay Means Full of Knowledge.

Here generally child gets two names, one for the school and and for home. Generally Home name is short form of the school name.

HI EVERY ONE
ITS REALLY INTERESTING
WHEN IT COME TO GIVE A NAME TO MY DAUGHTER I SPEND LONG TIME BROWSING INTERNET FOR A UNIQUE AND BEAUTIFUL NAME. FATHIMATH EASHAL ISMAIL IS HER NAME. EASHAL MEANS " FLOWER BLOOMS IN THE GARDEN OF PARADISE" FIRST MANE IS HER GRAND MOTHERS NAME. THIS NAME WAS GIVEN TO HER B/C SHE IS VERY ALIKE TO HER GRAND MA. THE LAST MANE IS EASHAL’S DADDY NAME. ITS COS I WANT HIS NAME TO BE IN EASHAL NAME. lol

My husband named our son. His name is Mark - after a good friend and Nicholas - his grandfathers name. It is so interesting to hear about your children’s names and their meanings. Never really thought about looking it up… We hadn’t planned on having kids at all so Mark was a surprise… but we had this running joke that if we had a son we would call him
Casiadoras Maxamillius Orelius and the surname. lol Needless to say we didn’t!!! Poor kid, imagine having to write that lot out?

Hi,

Basically I named them after my favourite movie stars, for their good-looks.

Names are so important. It’s the word they’ll hear more than any other word throughout their entire life, the word by which they will be referred to by everyone everywhere, even once they’re dead and gone. And people definitely live up to the meaning of their name, too (have you ever thought, i.e., “I can’t imagine him as anything other than Hunter”? Can you imagine yourself as a different name? People really do live up to the names they are given).

Hunter’s name means “pursuer of truth” and his middle name, Mitchell, means “like God”. I chose his first name because of its meaning. His middle name is after his dad and his grandfather, both of whom had the middle name Mitchell, although I like the meaning of that one as well.

hi all

my sons name is Shivam means The lord. In hindu community Lord shiva is the powerful god.... n one of his name is Shivam....This name i thought off in the hospital itself after shivams birth…Before that i n my Hubby where really confussed over the baby names.