How customisable is Little Reader?

How customisable is LR? We just discovered all of this exciting early learning stuff, and have also just started on a neurodevelopmental program. My son’s therapist does not want him to do reading just yet (!) and jsut wants him to do lots of picture flash cards of lots of topics. Can I use LR for that? I live in NZ and am having trouble getting any sort of physical flash card here, and I can’t seem to find a decent flash card app for my mac. Printing and laminating just seems so time consuming and expensive, so I like the computer idea. Can I use LR initially just for pictures and make up a program with it? (I will get to reading soon, my son has special needs, not sure why she does not want him reading just yet).

My only problem is that my local mac expert told me that boot camp would not go well on my computer so I would have to borrow a PC to do LR. Bummer! And hint hint if there are any Brillkids staff reading - when is the Mac version coming out? :slight_smile:

Hello Mahiisland,

Yes you can use Little Reader to only flash pictures. The basic LR English comes with 600 unique images (totaling 3000 because there’s 5 images per slide, like 5 different dog images) and you can easily set the 1 year English course to show only images - within minutes! That way you have lessons planned out for you for 1 year’s use, showing only pictures and no text whatsoever, but you can change it back again as soon as you feel like starting to teach reading.

There are also tons of image slides available in the library and you can also buy a little bit more professionally done slides from the BrillKids store, but this will require a little bit of work. You’ll have to take some time getting to know your Little Reader app. Filtering through the library will also take time, many are wonderful sets, some are pretty useless, many were created for specific learning areas that might not be of any use to you and sometimes you’re not sure what you’re going to get until you’ve downloaded and imported it. Then, you can play any set of flashcards you download just as you got them, but if you want them to display in an orderly fashion, you’ll have to build a course. Using a course, you can have new slides being displayed everyday while old slides are abandoned and much more.

I can’t live without my Little Reader, I’d say go for it! Even if it means investing in an old PC for your kid to have access to all the time. Very very short lessons all day long work well (again something you can easily adjust your Little Reader to do is play only very short lessons at a time), but then the PC should be right there where you spend most of your time. Best time to do a lesson is when your little one asks for it, and he’s more likely to ask if he sees the PC all the time. I always leave books I want to read to my boy on our coffee table, every time he walks past it, he sees it, soon he’s asking me to read them.

All the best and good luck

Thank you! Very helpful response!