How closely do you follow the age guidelines for toys?

I know that there are concerns with objects being too small and a possible choking hazard but do you always stay within those guidelines if safety is not an issue? I am having a hard time shopping for a 6 month old. Thanks

I’d be careful for a 6 month old because they put everything in their mouth, if not now, they will. I follow guidelines loosely for my son now b/c he is advanced in certain areas and some toys for preschoolers are good for him. He’s good about not putting everything in his mouth too, so I don’t worry that much. Of course, I supervise him more with toys for older children.

Hi krb
When buying toys for my 17 month old son I always check safety first, if safety is not an issue I actually buy toys for his age and for children older than him. I actually try to buy educational toys for him like leapfrog and also lego building blocks, although they are for kids older than him, I use them to teach him alphabets and colours. I do the same with books, I buy books for his age group and for kids who are older than him. :slight_smile:

I found that for my older dd ( who I did not even know about early reading etc. with) that I tended to buy toys in the next age range, or when she was at the lower end of the age range. Even younger dd who has down syndrom still plays with age appropriate toys. I think kids who have had a lot of stimulation learn quicker & therefore need more advanced toys. I am also careful to pick toys that are age appropriate regardless of the recommended age.

I don’t follow age guidelines either because they are sometimes inaccurate. I try my best to try out the toys myself. Sometimes I feel the age rating should be lower; other times, higher. It is only a “guideline” not a rule. But with a very young baby like yours I was always careful about small parts because of the choking hazard. Anyway, it takes trial and error to get the best match of toy to abilities and interest. Sometimes I’m not good at it. I get excited about educational toys and pick out stuff beyond their abilities in the hopes of them growing into the toy. Then I get disappointed when they use it inappropriately.

Good Luck, Lori

When safety isn’t an issue, I almost don’t follow the guidelines at all.

Maybe my nephews and nieces are abnormally gifted, but I usually get them toys for the age group 50% older than they are (ie the 4 year old gets toys for 6 year olds, the 8 year old for 12 year olds, the 18month old for 24-30 month olds) I’m told I’m the best present giver in the family.