How avoid my LO stops screaming and screaming

Hello dear parents, I would like know if some of us has the same unpleasant situations. Well, my LO has began to like screaming a lot when she wants to do something or when she doesn´t get what she wishes. The situation was very unpleasant when we were in the hotel those two weeks of our supposed quiet holidays. lol lol Well, the point was that especially, when we were eating she began to scream and scream. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: When she shouts the earth moves and moves. She had eaten previously… Finally, we could solve the problem with her participation in the food. It was obvious!!!

The thing is that she tends to scream a lot, and I would like that these type of situations are not very common in the next two years.

Any advice, Nuria is my only child lol :clown: I have not so experience as many parents here.

I went through the same thing, for about a year!! I feel your pain, but I don’t have any kind of a solution.

Here’s my two cents. Except that you can’t make her stop, you can’t force her to not experience her feelings. What you can do is teach her how to better express her self, but I don’t thing the heat of the moment is when to do it. If she’s fond of books, you can make her books describing these situations, why you think she reacts the way she does, what she could do instead etc.

Make sure you give her lots and lots of encouragement and sneak in free hugs and kisses when ever you can. “Thank you for not making a big fuss” might sound silly, but kids seem to respond to these sorts of comments, mine does.

Look at her routine, should be as predictable as possible.

Let her win the small fights, think about 10 or 20 years from now, ask yourself, will this have had a major influence.

A friend once told me, when you kids are acting in a way that makes them the least loveable is when they need your love the most.

Just hang in there, know that other mothers are going through the same thing, many kids go through similar stages. Always try and remind yourself that this will pass.

Hi MammaofWill, About a year?? My God!!! This situation can be very unpleasant, especially if you are surrounded of people in a restaurant or in the selfservice of an aparthotel, my case. Besides , the situation can be worse if a stupid waiter is able to go to your table in order to make this nice question: Have any doctor gave a diagnostic of why your LO shouts in that way??? I wanted to say to him… But the only thing that I said, Because she is a baby… It was the only thing that appeared in my mind.

Last weekend we went to a restaurant and her behaviour was totally different. We are offering her to eat a little with us. First she had her dinner, and when our food was served, we gave her some chips and some fish. She was very polite ha ha

But, the normal thing is that she screams in order to call our attention. The pedetrician says to us that we must ignore her. Perhpas I could do a mixture of both, your ideas and the doctor of Nuria.

Yes, public situations are the worst! You feel embarrassed so you’re own emotions are a bit higher, making it hard to act like an adult and stay calm yourself. Your child has an excuse for her behavior, she’s a tot.

“Other people” always know better. I think many don’t remember their own kids at that age, or never even had kids, and I don’t think anybody remembers their todlerhood in enough detail to say “I never did that.” Then you get the comments, “If I dared to talk to my mom like that, she would have beat me silly” - yes, and that’s why they turned out the way they did, something you don’t want for your own little one. We just have to grow an extra layer of skin and breath our way through these situations.

Wilhelm, my boy, only had one big outburst in a restaurant. I got up and took him to the car where he cried himself to sleep. It was not a punishment, it was showing respect to everyone else there, the crying was very loud and I didn’t want it spoiling everybody’s meals, so we just left. My hubby took take-aways for our meals, paid and left too. Call it what you want, but Wilhelm never ever did that again.

When I look back on this last year, 2 big mistakes I made dealing with tantrums were 1) rewarding his crying; and 2) ignoring his crying. At first I felt it was my job to make him feel better. I would scoop him up, give hugs and kisses and sweet talk, but this was very very tiring and actually made things a lot worse, his tantrums could continue for 30 minutes at a time. Then I tried ignoring him, it work like a charm for about a month, he learned within a day what I was doing and he hated it, so as soon as he sees me turn my back on him he would stop his tantrum dead! Once he stops, I’ll immediately address his dilemma and give him lots of praise for stopping his outburst. BUT THEN after about a month of ignore treatment, he decided that he could be nasty too, and for the first time his tantrums really went through the roof! I could ignore him all I wanted and he would scream and scream that the neighbors actually came knocking at my door.

One thing that I did that did help (and still does for the odd tantrum I get now) is something I read about that’s called TIME-IN. I’ll take him away, typically going to the kitchen. I’ll put him in his high chair. This is to restrain him just a little bit and because he’s then high enough for me to get his attention, and I can look him right in the eye. I try to talk, if he shouts and looks away, I leave. Then typically he’ll call me back, I’ll say “I’m coming back, if you are ready to talk” so he’ll say yes but this could take quite a few tries. The idea is not to punish him and leave him there, I keep going back immediately, but also leave immediately if he starts screaming again. I quickly get him calm, and then we talk and if he’s calm and friendly, I’ll scoop him up and give lots of hugs and kisses and praise.

One tip that might help with restaurant situations is to make sure you do the opposite before you go to the restaurant. Restaurant means, sit still, calm and quite, indoors, for an hour? and you’ll be eating. What’s the opposite? Active play, loud and busy, outside, for about an hour and don’t eat (you want her slightly hungry not starving though.) Same goes for if you want her to entertain herself for a while. If you want her to spend time alone, then give her the best and truest one-on-one time before hand.

Make sure you talk to her about her feeling a lot. You could also point out other kids’ emotions and reactions when you’re seeing this together in town, at a friends house, TV or in books. Tell her stories about emotions too, and tell her what she could do instead of having a major outburst.

I’ll also like to suggest this book - http://www.amazon.com/The-Happiest-Toddler-Block-Four-Year-Old/dp/0553384422/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379487832&sr=8-1&keywords=happiest+toddler+on+the+block

But then, you could spend all your time researching, but in reality, your little one has to grow up emotionally, and that just takes time.

I like your sentence “Other people” always know better. Raising a child can be sometimes a litte difficult, but I hate that everybody wants to speak how I should raise my child. I remember that when I was in my lessons of premummy the nurse told us. Raise your children without being obsessed with other people´s commentaries. :tongue:

Only one big outburst in a restaurant! Lucky mummy. I had severals on our last holidays. When she throws a tantrum, she can be so cute!! >:(

The thing that you did with the highchair is good. What I do is using a corner in the room where she is, and when she behaves badly, I uses it. And there I tick her off. Sometimes it works and she cries a little, others she laughs… :wacko: :blink: Thank you for the link of the book. I would prefer websites. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to pay anything now.