How and Where to Start

I am a newbie here. This site seems to have a lot of information and material to teach your child.
I have a 12 month old and would like to know how and where to start from.
How many flashcards do I need to show my child?
What size do they need to be?
For how long should they view the cards?
Do I need to show the picture or the word itself.

I am sorry for posting so many questions but I am really looking forward for work better with my child

Thank you
PP118

You get a lot of leeway when starting with a 12 month old - there is very little you can do wrong as long as you don’t bore or frustrate your child.

Word size should be large - they recommend large on an A4 size sheet I believe though I managed with words 2cm high (so an “a” would be 2cm high and a “g” 4cm high because of the tail) This is slightly smaller than recommended.

Show words and then if you want to show pictures show them immediately after the word the picture corresponds to.

Use words your child will be interested in fort (like Mummy, Daddy, their name, an animal they particularly like, their favourite toy etc)

If you want to do the right brain thing then words should be shown very fast - only a second or so. I didn’t worry with this.

Sets of five are usually recommended but again it varies from child to child (and parent to parent) - be careful to stop before your child is stops showing interest.

Good luck - play around with it and see what works for your child - remember they are heading for the toddler stage at 12 months (if your child is walking it becomes even harder) and you will have to adjust thiongs a lot to be able to keep showing them when they want to run away. There should be lots of ideas for keeping a bust toddler still seeing eth words.

Thank You Tanikit.
I would follow the suggestions given. My son is not walking yet however it is difficult to draw his attention since he is constantly crawling everywhere. I guess I would try the flashcards during mealtimes when he is confined to his Highchair.

Also can i start in any order like animals, colors, numbers? Or is there a particular pattern to follow?

Please let me know
Thank you
PP118

you can start from any category, but its good to start from a category which you notice that your baby likes, for example you can start from animals or birds and you can make the the bird or animal so the child like the idea of flash cards

Again you can’t really go wrong as long as you keep your child’s interest - start with the categories your child likes best. I actually never really taught my child in categories - I just taught the words I thought would work. I did use ceategories on LR however and she always loved the animal ones best.

Showing them the cards when confined works well - in the highchair, when in the car in the car chair, even when they are in their cots but don’t put your child there purposely - he must be there for the correct reason and then you show the cards else he will associate the cards with being confined.

Awesome thank you guys… this is great way to headstart

3 times daily is fine but as im a working mom i could show the card once or twice, but E started reading before 1 year and now she reads very nicely,

you can also start maths, for maths you can go for quantitative maths, where you can use dot cards

Where could I find Math and Reading Flashcards(Besides downloading/purchasing LR/LM)
Also do I need to print them or show them on the computer itself?

Hi Tanikit,

You were saying 5 sets of cards but may I know when or how do I know to change to 2nd 5 sets? or it does not matter at all?