How and when do you bring back words to review?

My baby is now 15 months and I’ve been flashing 25 words a week for that past 3 months but I have never reviewed and words unless they come up in real life, like like on a cereal box or something like that. What is the best way to bring back words to review? Should I be reviewing a few words a week in addition to the 25 new ones?

If you have reached 200 single words, then you can start showing couplets using the old words. Also try to use the words consciously while talking to the baby everyday, so that the baby correlates what it means.

This is how you do couplets according to Dr. Doman:

You will show 2 sets of 5 couplets each day. Show each set 3 times a day for 5 days or less. After 5 days, retire one couplet from each set and add 1 new couplet to each set. Keep adding 1 new couplet and retiring 1 old couplet daily.

You will do this couplet session everyday along with your single words.

After sometime, you can move on to phrases using the old words…Then you graduate to sentences…This is how old words are brought back into the program again.

Hope this helps.

Questers.

You can use the words you have already taught to play games. You can put out some of the words in one room and tell your baby that you are going for a word hunt. Then set out to locate the words you have already taught. If your child is reluctant to choose the correct words, just lead the game and get really excited each time you find the word you are looking for.

Some moms jump over the words with their babies. You can play word hopscotch. Put five cards on the floor and say each word as you and your baby jump over them.

You can make couplets with the cards you have already seen. Just sit with some cards on the floor and pair them up and read them with your baby. You can make silly pairs and have your baby make silly combinations as well.

Doman says that once you get through 50 words you can introduce couplets. I began showing my boy sentences when he was 12 months old and even though h e didn’t know all the words yet, it really pushed his reading to a whole new level. I did notice that if I taught a word and we didn’t see it for awhile he would forget it. It is important to review, and if you do this a couple of times a week you should be all set.

For more ideas and tips view my blog <a target=" new" "href=“http://teachingbabytoread.com/”>Teaching Baby To Read

Thank you so much. These are all great idea. I’m going to start with couplets and games this week!