Hooked on Phonics - yay or nay?

We found a box of Hooked on Phonics at our local consignment store for 1/5th of its retail price, so we got it.

Has anyone tried HoP with young toddlers?

My plan was to load the Kindergarten CDs on my computer to easily practice with along side the booklets…

I remember looking at Hooked on Phonics software a few years ago and, for what it’s worth, I thought it was too advanced, not for the language content but for other concepts and skills that it took for granted.

I also seriously doubt that little kids could gate interested in phonics workbooks…

I did the pre-k set with my son before he turned 2. It taught upper and lower case letters (which he already knew) and phonics (he knew some). I thought it was great for reinforcement. I should have started it with him sooner, but didn’t get around to it. It had a lot of computer games that he learned how to play. There were a few that were too advanced for him at the time, like substituting letters and finding rhyming words, but the set is made for older kids anyways. It came with workbooks, books and flash cards too. I thought it was good, but make sure you get a set that is appropriate for your child’s reading level. You don’t want to get the pre-k set if your child already knows the alphabet and phonics. I have considered buying the kindergarten set, but I just haven’t had the money and I don’t think I have the time to do it with him every day.

We do hooked on Handwriting. Thats a hit. HoP was too slow for my son. We did it for a while but I switch programs. I image we will still use the readers, and such. I got the K-2 set for $38 so I mean I couldnt go wrong.
Hooked on French is Horrible! I couldn’t believe the readers mixed english and french in the same sentences. Basically the readers are in english and instead of the word there trying to teach the child being in print there is a picture and they are expected to say a french word in the middle of an english sentence.
I was in French immersion till grade 5. This was a major issue for me confusing languages and blending them together, so this is not how I want to teach my son.

So for a 3 yr old it would be better to get the kindergarten one?

I can not see the difference between kindergarten and first grade sets.Is the description wrong?
Has anyone buy or used one of this? The comments say the DVD is useless.

Kindergarten
http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Kindergarten-Activity-Pack-Phonics/dp/B001OQTEC4/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_b

Description:
New Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten Activity Pack. This activity pack is a fun way to reinforce reading, writing, arithmatic, and other kindergarten skills. Includes: 3 leveled readers Pop, Pop, Pop! The Hip-O Wants to Play Big, Big Bus 3 64-page workbooks Hooked on Phonics® Beginning Words Hooked on MathTM, Math Activities Hooked on LeanringTM Handwriting Hooked on HandwritingTM activity pad Write-on/wipe-off lap board 3 progress posters Over 250 stickers 90-minute Reading Rainbow DVD

First grade
http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-First-Grade-Phonics-Activity/dp/B001OQJTD8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1278895629&sr=1-5
New Hooked on Phonics 1st Grade Activity Pack. This activity pack is a fun way to reinforce reading, math, spelling, and other 1st Grade skills. Includes: 3 leveled readers Pop, Pop, Pop! Hip-O Wants to Play The Big, Big Bus 3 64-page workbooks Hooked on Phonics® Beginning Words Hooked on MathTM, Math Activities Hooked on LeaningTM Handwriting Hooked on HandwritingTM activity pad Write-on/wipe-off lap board 3 progress posters Over 250 stickers 90-minute Reading Rainbow DVD And more!