Hooked on phonics French anyone?

I’m desperately trying to find a reading program for my child in French.
I’ve heard Hooked on phonics has released a set. I don’t know if it is just basic French learning (it’s my daughter’s first language) or if there’s some reading activity as well.
The website is not clear at all, so if anyone has tried it… please share!

Up

It’s horrible. They blend English and French in a book. The book is written in English then instead of a word there will be a picture and the child is expected to say the word in French. The DVDs are all in English except the few French words they are teaching. For your LO that already knows French it would be a major waste of money

Hypatia,

Have you seen the Reading a-z.com website? They have leveled reading books in English, Spanish, and French which gradually progress in level of difficulty. This is the link to the French materials: http://www.readinga-z.com/allbooks/materials_fr.html

You can download samples of their books in French, Spanish, and English before you subscribe. I have been browsing through the site but haven’t subscribed yet because I wanted to see if a native French and Spanish speaker would be able to help me check out the translations of the books in French and Spanish to see if they are good. (I don’t speak either language.) If you do get a chance to see the French samples, please let me know what you think. Based on the English versions, I think the French and Spanish books would be a good introduction to reading these languages for my daughter.

Thanks for your help! :smiley:

Hi aangeles
I’m having a look now. I am not sure how to use the website. When i click on the farm book it showed in english. at the bottom there is an option to see books in spanish and french but you need to be a member.
If you send me the exact link for a few books I’ll be able to help you!

Hi Hypatia,

Thank you very much for your kind offer! :slight_smile: I subscribed to the 7-day free trial offer on the website and that is why I can download the French and Spanish books. There is a daily download limit during the trial period - 20 books per day. I am currently on day 3 of the trial so I have downloaded 60 books so far - 30 in Spanish and 30 in French (10 books each from the first 3 levels) - Amazing! What I really like is that the French/Spanish books are also levelled so I won’t have much trouble figuring out if a book is too easy or too difficult for my daughter. I will just start at the first level and progress her accordingly.

I also found out yesterday that my daughter’s new daycare teacher was actually a grade school teacher in another country who taught Spanish, French and Italian for 12 years before she came here to the US!!! And she volunteered to read the French and Spanish books with my daughter during her quiet time (she wakes up 30-45 minutes before the other kids at naptime).

Thanks again for your reply. I just wanted to let you know that you can subscribe to the free trial to get the French and Spanish versions. :smiley:

i have been member of reading a-z on and off . i like their sister site raz-kids i think it is wonderful for none native english speaking teach kids fluency . i use it with my kids at meal time, the stories are read to us with the words highlighted as they are read .
my main interest for reading a-z is not english but french . i have tons of english books but unfortunately have no access to french books where i live , my daughter speak english and french but french is her main language . the books are well translated to french , not sure about spanish though .i can help in french if you need any help .
do you have lr files in spanish ?? will you share them with me .
hypathia i also believe the program you were asking about would be complete waste of time it won’t teach your child to read , it is mainly to teach french vocabulary to non native french .
i advice you the best is to get hold of a montessori french language album , it healp you introduce phonics gradually to your daughter a la dadude , if you feel whole word is not enough .
do you know of any french sites similar to starfall ??
love
viv

Hi viv,

I sent you a PM.

i download the free books and workbooks and they look good to start with.
I could download one in french and one in spanish.
I do not speak french but the spanish one is good but it was a little more advance than just begginers.
I suppose the other levels are a good option for starters.

Hi 2010Bebes,

Are the worksheets you downloaded in english? Or are they available in french and spanish too? I can’t find the french and spanish worksheets, only the english ones.

The workbooks are in english but there are 2 books in french and 2 in spanish.
When you go to free samples on the page of leveled reading you see many samples of books and their worksheet in english but down you have the books in french and spanish.

If you can not download send me a PM with your email and i will send them to you.

Hello!
I am looking to find a reading program in german for my 10 month old baby(german is her native language)
Until now I have found nothing, unfortunately.
Could someone please recommend something ?
Thank you very much