Hooked on Phonics for 2.5 year old (or the next step after letter sounds)

Anyone use HOP to teach their younger than 4 year old to read. I say this because the Pre-K HOP says it’s for 3-4 year olds but from looking at the Pre-K videos on youtube, they just go through the letter sounds and she’s known them for a while now. The KG videos seem to be more what she needs but the book seems like it might be over her head. Not sure it’s worth getting the whole set if the videos are short. I’m thinking the online content as well might be on point but not sure what that’s about.

Anyone have any experience or read any reviews somewhere?

Or, does anyone know any LR files or other programs, youtube videos, DVDs that introduce putting the sounds together sloooooowly. We have Leap Frog Talking Words Factory but I think it might not be slow enough. Then again, she might start sounding out words next week, lol. They surprise you sometimes. HELP! I feel like she’s ready and I’m just wasting time.

I used HOP pre-k for my son. We started before he was 2. He already knew his letters and sounds, but this was fun and reinforced everything. It teaches all the letters, both upper and lower case, and then letter sounds. It also mixes in some rhyming and letter substitution. There are a lot of different materials that you can use with the kit. It comes with a cd-rom, books, daily coloring activity, flash cards, and reward materials. The games it suggested were for older kids, but he loved playing the computer games on the cd-rom.

I really liked it and recommend it if your child needs to learn letters and phonics. If she already knows them, then I would look into the kindergarten set. I think they make one for kindergarten through 2nd grade. It would last a while. I considered buying the next set, but I just don’t have the money or the time for it right now. BTW, there are always great promo codes to use on the HOP website. Sign up for their emails and search on www.retailmenot.com for new codes to use.

Hello, I used this program with both of my children now ages 6 and 4 . I can not say enough good things about it … I know you have to pay for it but it is worth every penny… http://www.readinglesson.com/

We also use/ used www.starfall.com (free site)

This site also has a FREE phonics program to grade 2 I think http://www.lessonpathways.com/ ( we love this site and use it all the time for all subjects) you do have to register but everything is FREE…

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Susan Khan

Also look at local retailers. I just bought my son the complete HOP Reading program(k-2) regular $150 for $38 on clearance at Zellers, and the Hooked on Math and Hooked on Handwriting for $14 each :slight_smile: I know they also had the PreK for $14, but the materials look too easy for my almost 5 year old.
I’m not sure how good they are personally, but my BFF said her brother used them back in the 90’s what they were crazy expensive and they had all those infommecials “Hooked on phonics worked for me!” and she said it helped him tons. I’ll let you know in a few months our option :slight_smile:

Hi, take a look at lesson pathways… You can adapt the k to younger ages… There are tons of hands on stuff for all subjects… I love it :wink:

I do not use just ONE program. I mix a lot of different things together for both my children .

susan khan

Good to know. Thanks Susan!
Btw, do you use lr and/or lm? And if so how do you incorporate it into your day w/ doman?
The doc :clown: