Homeschooling in a different language than your native language

Since I started doing research about early education and all this subjects , I became more and more interested in homeschooling. I have a long way to go before that, but I want to do as much research as possible to make sure I’m going to be able to do it. We live in the States, so the materials are in English and since we live here I would like to teach her in English. My concern is that my native language is Spanish. I learned English as a grown up, so I have a very heavy accent. I’m not sure if homeschooling would be a great idea in this scenario. Any suggestions? :confused:

Joha :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about homeschooling in another language but what i would like to comment on is the accent issue…

I really don’t understand why it hinders so many people and why it is such a big issue… sure if u can perfect it and its well within your capabilities to do so then do it but if not i don’t see an accent as a problem at all … I’d rather speak and read and write 5 languages with accents than only two native ones…

It is very adolescent in my opinion to judge someone based on their accent … noone really cares about the accent at the end of the day if what you are saying is valuable :wink:

Thank you nohayo! :smiley: That is very encouraging. :yes: It would be great if everybody had your actitute. I still have a time to start with this project, but is always nice to hear people’s point of view and experiences in this cases. Even more when you are a first time parent. I think I’m definetly going to give it a try. My husband helps me a lot with my English, I asked him to correct me everytime I needed, so hopefully with time it will keep getting better and better :biggrin:

My native tongue is English but when I had to teach a Sunday School class the chldren spoke Spanish. Wow! Was it hard! But I did actually teach them for a while. They even helped me with my pronounceations. I think that with the proper CD like hooked on English you will do just great. I purchased Hooked on Spanish and it comes with the cd, music cd, worksheets, and more to help me with my Spanish, that is for kids. I also purchased a cheap computer program that had a printable Spanish picture dictionary with it and it was awesome. This is what I am using to teach my own children Spanish.

I think you will do just fine homeschooling. There are tons of resources out there to help you.