homeschooling concerns

Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone knows of success stories or any articles on people who have homeschooled when the themselves didnt have a good education. I completed highschool with my GED and took a one year certificate program at College so my family has concerns about me homeschooling my child/ren.

Help is apprecticated

Brittany

Brittany,

It is a sad fact that most homeschooling mothers had a very poor education. That is why they turned to homeschooling - they want more from their children. Educating my first child, I learned more than he did.

I do not know where you are located, but I suggest you get in touch with your local homeschool group. There are generally lots of veteran moms (that also received poor educations) who would love to help you out. The moms on here ( and the few dads) are a great resource, as they generally place a high value on very early education.

This is a huge undertaking, but one that is absolutely worth it. Much of the curriculum is idiot proof now and there are so many options, your biggest issue is going to be which ones to choose. Your GED is more than sufficient to do the job if that is what you want.

Sonya

I’m finding http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/ very helpful, but there are more “kindred spirits” here in BrillKids–accelerated learning makes a lot of homeschoolers uncomfortable, though not all.

I can’t put my hands on it now, but I’ve read about a study that indicated that even high-school educated parents on average produced homeschooled kids who outperformed their public-schooled peers.

Look on this as a way to improve your own education. I’ve learned a lot myself (really!), and my son is five and I have a Ph.D. We all have a lot to learn, even if we don’t always act that way.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have learned so much and we’ve barely dipped into EK style learning. But what little we have done has been very educational for ME! :slight_smile:

do not worry a lot of my homeschool parents feel the same way including myself. Homeschooling is learning as you go for the child and the parents. I find that if you use a good curriculum, review it yourself, then teach is the way to go. Having a good curriculum with the teachers guides with them is the key. Once you get more comfortable teaching then you can progress on creating your own arrangement of curriculum for your child, besides who knows their child better. There are many success stories here in my state regarding non-educated parents homeschooling their children. I have many members in my homeschool co-op that feels the same way. Like I said getting a good curriculum that has the teachers guides will help, and to when I first started this a long time ago I turned to a friend who was a great at math to help me teach algebra, once I go the hang of it (even though I took it in college) I begin to teach with no problems. Asking for help when homeschooling from another source has no shame, ask for help it is ok. Know yor limitations and get the assistance you need from others so you may help teach your child, believe me I still am asking advice from others as well.