Holiday Shopping & Gift ideas

We might be very well in the middle of a move this holiday season so I don’t want to go overboard at all. But I am starting to think about the holiday season, we get bombarded by occasions for 2 months straight.

Nov 25- Thanksgiving (probably hosting dinner)
Nov 25- 10 year Wedding Anniversary (happens to fall on Thanksgiving this year, we’ll celebrate around then)
Nov 28- DD’s 2nd Bday
Dec 25- Christmas
Dec 29- DS’s 1st Bday
New Years- Dec 31

Not counting all the holiday parties in between. Sheesh!

What are some great ideas for gifts for a 1 & 2 year old? They will get enough plastic “junk” presents from extended family, so I want to keep their presents educational. Learning type toys from the teachers store, Montessori toys, etc. Some good stocking stuffers and toys. I am hoping to take advantage of the after thanksgiving and Christmas sales for the kids Birthday presents.

I just ordered a ton of new books for DD this month and some Montessori matching & nuts/bolts games from Ebay. It kills me to give it all to her now when I know I could save it for her birthday, but these are skills she should be working on know (reading improvement, matching, and fine motor) as part of her fall school curriculum so I don’t want to wait. It just means we will be spending more money in a month or two on bday & Christmas gifts. If I’m going to spend the money, it’s going to be on QUALITY educational toys/books.

I was thinking about possibly…

Talking states and capitals or World geography puzzle
Globe
2 large boxes of classic wooden blocks (the teacher store sells two different boxes, some have arches, some have columns, etc)
Modeling Clay/Play dough (maybe I could make this?)
Matching Felt Story boards & books
Books
An easel
Tabletop Puppet theater
Dramatic Play costumes
Some new educational DVDs

Our finances only go so far so I need to shop carefully.
So…what should I get for my 1 & 2 year old??? Any ideas would be appreciated!

I like the idea of this thread, but…wow…I can’t get my brain on Christmas yet no matter how I try! Way to be organized, L&OM!

I saw cheap map puzzles at Costco lately for Asia and the US. the brand is Geopuzzles and I’ve seen them go for a lot more. Although knowing Costco they may not have the same selection in different areas.

I’m looking to get a Leapfrog “scribble and write” as well as the “text and learn”. I’m surprised at how cheap these are. I had a patient that brought the scribble and write for her kids to occupy themselves. She said it held up to child wear and tear better than a magna-doodle.

My daughter’s magnadoodle is a beat up handmedown that could use replacing, so great idea on the leapfrog!

That reminds me, I saw crayola makes a dry erase writing pad for practicing letters. She might not be ready for it just yet at 2 but will be soon.

I forgot- just about anything Melissa & Doug would probably be good too. I was at a friends house tonight and they have the clock that helps teach how to tell time by M & D.

Any kind of arts & crafts would probably go well with an easel if I get one.

I almost posted this, so it made me laugh when you mentioned it(at least I think it’s what you’re referring to).

http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Dry-Erase-Activity-Center/dp/B00125V99S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1283578778&sr=8-1

I read the reviews, and the only thing to worry about is you have to use crayola dry-erase markers. Regular ones will bleed into the plastic covering and stay.

well I have already a list of thing I will make for my daugher for Christmas,
More felt food
Make some wooden puzzles
Make some wooden blocks
Make some chinese wooden blocks as well
Make her a tablemat
And of course my mom is making some other stuff like:
-knitting some rainbow pants with matching hair bands
-Couple of Waldorf dolls

• a raibow sweter and a raibow vest

But We are thinking on buying her couple of Siging time dvds.
Her Birthday is in February so We will buy her a violin (that is the only present she will get, but I will probably make her a felt cake to play with too).

That is my list!!

I am a person who likes to plan stuff, because I like to have the time to make stuf for her.

I have been thinking about this more, and I think my daughter (turning two this fall) would LOVE a doll house. I saw some really charming wooden Montessori style ones online. I might have to wait until next year though because my son still puts everything in his mouth and the pieces are a choking hazard.

Or, I might get her a small plastic one this year with larger pieces, and then upgrade next year to a very large nice wooden one, which is what I would want her to have anyway.

And she has been gravitating towards her baby dolls and loves to care for them, so I was also thinking about maybe a small cradle for them or a mini-stroller, that type of thing.

Broke down on Labor Day and got Leapfrog Learn & Groove Alphabet drum, Scribble and write, and Chat and Count phone. Hey they were on sale(barely)!

I personally think you cant go wrong with Duplo. Kids get hours of fun out of it and it keeps them entertained plus it is something your son can start playing with in a couple of months time to. Its a great neutral present which is good for girls and boys.

I think we’re asking the grandparents for the big Duplo box. We visited a friend who had them a month ago. Our baby liked them mostly as chew toys, but hopefully he’ll have more interest in playing with them by Christmas time.

Several years ago I got the Melissa nad Doug easel on amazon. At the time (it may have been post christmas) it was on sale. But we have gotten so much use out of it. The height is adjustable and one side is a chalkboard and the other a white board. On the whiteboard side you have the roll of paper come down and you can paint. We have a few of those interlocking floor mat things underneath and my son (now 4) sets it up, paints and cleans up by himself.