Hi there from USA

Hi grandma here.

I have an 18 month grandson who keeps me hopping everyday. :biggrin: We have a lot of funny. He is slow to talk so I have decided to teach him reading. 8) I could use some help. I notice he likes music and sound with his learning. I guess that is the reason to purchase the reader. He doesn’t seem to be very interested in plain flashcards, but he loved the fisher price site which has educational items with sound and cute pics. Please tell me where to start. I am very computer literate. Just point me in the right direction.

Thanks
grandma

Hi and welcome to the forums! It’s great to have you here! Feel free to browse the forums and add to any discussions that interest you. You might want to check out our early learning boards to find many great ideas on how to teach your grandson many different things. We have a board specifically for teaching reading that you may be interested in. Please let us know if you have any questions or need any help getting around. We hope to hear more from you soon!
Nikki

Hi! It’s great to see a grandparent on here! My daughter is near the age of your grandson and she prefers the computer and little reader to cards too. Plus, if I have cards, she just wants to take them and look at/play with them. :slight_smile:

I too would suggest looking through the forum on here that focuses on reading… everyone has such good advice and you can really learn a lot. Hope to see you around the forums more soon!

Hi Patreiche! Welcome!

If he likes multimedia, then go with either the Powerpoint downloads or (of course! :slight_smile: ) Little Reader. Let us know if you have any problems with either of them!

Welcome!!

I, too, am really glad to see a grandparent on the forums.

Life would be so much easier if extended families were more supportive–it’s nice to see that you are!

Thank you for such a nice welcome! I have been playing with powerpoint to see what he likes. Sure won’t pay attention unless there is sound and animation. I am learning by trial and error and I have read the site. The red dot math is most intriguing. I am going to try this with him and see how it goes. The equation submission in math is excellent. I have added sound and animation to get his attention. He is hard to attract. This sight is wonderful.

The pssx files what are they? My powerpoint won’t load them. :wacko:

grandma

By the way the one file I created with his name, mommy, his dog, up, down, arms up, clap, etc with appropriate pictures, sound and animation … he can’t get enough of it. He watched it like 50 times. I can up load this but it is personalized … you would have to change pictures and names. Is this something people would want.

Another question is it better to have word and pic on same slide or two slides or mix it up?

grandma

Do you have a recent version of powerpoint?

You should have the words and pictures on different slides b/c the pictures will be a distraction from the word. A baby will automatically look at the picture b/c it is more interesting. So if you want to teach reading, you must have them separate.

Hello patreiche! :blush: YAY we’re getting more loving grandmothers in here! lol

Welcome to our BrillKids Forums!

Be sure to browse through the different topics on early education here in the forums - and please feel free to participate in the discussions, too! We hope that you will share your parenting experience with us here, and I look forward to reading about your adventures while teaching your little one!

We’re glad to have you!

Lappy :happy:

p.s.

The PPSX files are made for the most recent version of Microsoft PowerPoint which came out in 2007. :frowning: Unfortunately if you are using Microsoft office 2003 or lower, you will not be able to open these files. But feel free to send a Private Message (PM) to the user who uploaded the file and try to ask for a PPS or PPT version of their file (which you will be able to open) and I am sure they will oblige. :biggrin: