Hi my daughter is 17 months is it too late to start using the brill kids product

Hi my daughter is 17 months is it too late to start using the brill kids product

It’s not too late. I started using Brillkids products when my son was around 15 months old.
He is now 2 yars and 10 months old and can read because of LR.

However, Little Math has been a challengig experience for us because he did not like it that much.

Hope this help…:slight_smile:

Elle

Nope, not too late at all! Under age 3 is ideal, but many have used it beyond that age as well.

I don’t think it’s too late at all, as long as your DD is able to concentrate on the flashing words (even if she doesn’t. the Brillkids Little Reader software is great for customization, so she most probably will enjoy it!)

My DS started when he was 19 months old, he’s 23 plus months old now and (still) LOVES it! And I’m also proud to say that he is also able to recognize quite a few words, Something he wasn’t able to do before. I supplement with YBCR too.

I started my DD with Little Reader at 8 months but got most out of it when she was 18 months to 2.5 years. She is 4 now and still likes it so you are definitely not too late. My second DD is now 8 months and has been using it for a few months already.

A good friend of mine starting teaching her daughter to sight read at 2 1/2 years old. She then included some phonics and when she started school at 5 she was able to read out of the Bible on the first day. This was over 30 years ago. See below for her exact words. She just recently shared this with me.

[i]Almost 30 years ago I used a similar product for my first child when she was about 2&1/2 years old because I recognized that she was very bright and interested in learning. One of the main approaches of the program I used was that this should be a fun experience, nothing forced nor punitive with which I definitely agreed. The concept, as I understood it, was that if children could learn to recognize words as in store signs that were of interest to them (McDonalds, Toys R Us), then why not other everyday words. My daughter loved seeing “the words” that I had handwritten on 8x 4 cards and selected because of their interest to her. She would regularly ask me, “Mommy, show me the cards!” but we did that only a couple of times a day and always in a casual, enjoyable way.

I am not an educator, in fact I was unable to complete college, but I recognized that if this program were to truly help my daughter learn to read, that she would need to learn phonics as well. So I independently added phonics to the sight-reading approach by making cards showing the different blended sounds that certain combinations of letters make. It’s usually good to read & follow instructions which I did. However, I also used my own intellect to supplement the reading program with phonics so as to obtain a broader, more effective result. By age 4, my daughter was able to read just about anything, and she also comprehended the content (to the extent that her limited age would allow). Plus, she LOVED it!!!

Upon entering kindergarten at a Catholic School, my daughter was chosen to read a Bible passage from the Pulpit on the Altar at Mass during her class’s first week of school, and she read it beautifully. She did well in school, and received her university under grad degree in only 3 years; was immediately hired for an extremely intense and high-paying position that requires worldwide travel and has also paid for her Masters Degree which she earned while working/traveling 60+ hours/week. She is main author and/or partner in many published research articles. At age 30 she will soon earn a Doctorate in a specialized field of Psychology. My daughter was recently married, homeowner, is an avid reader and even squeezes in time to belong to a local book club. I know that my daughter was blessed with intelligence but I also believe that her educational advancement was definitely expedited by her ability to read at a very early age. It also gave her un-ending wonderful enjoyment in the countless books she’s read from early childhood to today.[/i]

I found this very encouraging when I began teaching my babies to read. It is not too late. Have fun and get started!