Hi, i'm a newbie from Brunei....

Hi, I’m a SENA trainee and in practicuum at the mo. We are required to select a low performing child, age 5 and to produce an IEP. The child I selected has performed way below his level. At level Primary 1 (I guess it’s K3 in some countries), the child still not able to recognise any alphabet, let alone reading a simple syllable. When asked to recite A-Z, he paused then sang the ABC song but letters were not in order and he never get to the Z. He just kept on repeating the letters and trying to recall what’s next and ended up singing the jumbled ABC song in circle. I showed him random letters in lower and upper case and asked him to identify them. He confidently say out the letter he thought they were but out of 10 letters none are correct. I also noticed that he would squint his eyes to see what’s on the paper and leaned forward for a closer look. Please can anyone give me some tips or advice on this. TQ!

Hi and welcome to the forums. It is good to have you here. Will you please explain to those of us who don’t know–what does SENA, mo and IEP stand for?
And it seems like the child has a visual impairment that may be causing many learning problems. Has his vision been tested? I know if a child cannot hear or see correctly, then learning can be very cumbersome.
I’m sorry I cannot help you any further, but maybe someone else can? In any case, I hope to see you around!
Nikki

:)Hi and thanks for your tips. SENA stands for Special Education Need Assistance… :wacko:or to be accurate, we teach children with special and high support need/ with learning disabilities. We work with down syndrome, ADHD, autism, cerebral palsy, etc. While IEP stands for Individual Education Plan.

Thank you for clarifying! It sounds like you are doing a wonderful program!