Hi, guys! I am back with a new book! You Can be a Musician: A Defense of Music

The Chromatic Scale, or “White Cat, Black Cat, and Mouse”

This exercise helps to organize the fingers into the right curve; it uses only the strongest fingers, the first and third, and this frees the other fingers from too much stress. This scale is extraordinarily useful for the familiarization of the white and black keys, necessary for the proper placement of the thumbs. Playing the chromatic scale with both hands is very helpful in the development of coordination and concentration; in the intervals between the black keys, each hand plays a different sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipwRCObYhLQ

Triads, or “The Three Sisters and Three Brothers”

Triads teach the coordination of three fingers of the hand at the same time. At first this is very hard, and kids confuse the first, third, and fifth fingers with the second and fourth. By separating the fingers into ‘girls’ and ‘boys’ along the code of the keys, I was able to bring my kids’ attention to the difference between these two groups of fingers. At first, when the exercise is played by one hand at a time, the children watch to make sure that the ‘unwanted guests (2 and 4)’ don’t show up while playing with the group of 1, 3 and 5. In order to master the coordination of these fingers, they play the triads many times.

Later, when they can achieve this without difficulty, we play the triads in all of the octaves at a quickened tempo. This helps kids to comprehend the octaves at a tactical level. Later, the exercise can be played with both hands, and develops the coordination between them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVW7S3QSVR8&feature=related

Do Major Through Continuous Movement

This exercise is perfectly symmetrical. It teaches to place the first finger (thumb) after the middle and fourth fingers for a continuous playing of scales. The scale is played through continuous movement, one hand at a time, from the Do of the first octave to the very end of the keyboard.

First, we learn the magical formula: 123-1234-123-1234-123 etc.

When each hand can do this, we place both of thumbs onto the Do of the first octave and play the scale to the very end. This exercise powerfully affects a ‘weak’ sense of the keys, and the technique necessary to move in opposite directions. It helps to understand the organization of the white keys and their sounds when played in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEpRduS89nI&feature=related

The Entire Journey Starts With The First Step!

Can a beginner really be allowed to play exercises with stiff, spread-out fingers out of tempo? Of course! More than that, this is exactly how he should play. After all, he simply can’t do it any other way!

Once, a music professor visited my studio. Seeing a recording of my three-year-old student playing Hannon, he was very unimpressed. “The boy is playing with improper hand placement!”

"But he’s only three years old!" I countered. "His coordination is only starting to develop!"

"He should play with rounded hands, or not at all!" he cut in.

Then, I showed him a video of some of my older students. "And how is the hand placement of these students?" I asked him.

"See. There you go! That is how it needs to be done. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: you shouldn’t start that early!" He didn’t know that these kids, playing with free and rounded hands, jarred professors in just the same way a few years ago, groping along the keys with ‘improper’ fingers.

Why should we talk to the beginners about rounded hands? Their adventures along the keys aren’t much different from their first steps, made with small, bent legs to meet their mothers. Of course his fingers stick out in random directions, and in order to press the key with his pinky finger, he’s got to move his entire hand. The sense of the keys will come to him only when he develops his coordination. When properly worked out, the hand will easily assume a natural, rounded position. And there isn’t any kind of tension! When you know where you’re going, then the going gets easy!

The problem of ‘improper hand placement’ simply doesn’t exist. We thought it up ourselves. Comparing which students’ hands are the best, we are only satiating our own self-love. But the problem of cramped hands is absolutely real – though the kids don’t have anything to do with it. We’re the ones that cramp them, or rather cripple them, trying to force proper hand placement on them before we’ve taught them anything at all.

The most important support for coordination of the technique of playing is familiarization of the entire space of the piano. It isn’t learning the weight of his hand, but exercising over all of the keys that helps the beginner to gain confidence in his hands. Think for yourselves: where do you feel most confident, in a place where you know every corner, or in a place where nothing is familiar?

After learning to “freely run along the keys,” a child will want to do something new. Then comes the time to learn some other ‘tricks.’ The student will look upon them with happiness and delight. Now, he’ll be able to:

* - learn to play rhythmically with the help of a metronome
* - learn to play more loudly and more quietly, with the flow (legato) and in jumps (staccato)
* - learn to play on the piano without stickers.

And as for stickers … As has been explained, their role to the visual perception of a child is simply priceless. Visual information on the keys is the most important support for the development of the technique of coordination.

Once I was a director of music department and replaced ‘lessons about music’ into music/piano lessons. With help of the parents we bought about 40 keyboards and every child was learning to play and read music every week. We always started with exercises! Soon enough kids were having contests: who plays faster or more acurate with metronoim and without. It was very positive experience!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1mPrAq7tlI

I have a question regarding this approach. In no way is it meant to be an attack on the product, I genuinely would like to learn more.

I understood that the tenet of early learning is that little minds are capable of SO much more and that if we don’t limit our kids, that they are capable of doing such things as reading at 12months, having photographic memories, speed reading and more.

Is it therefore not teaching our children to think in a limited way that we do not start them reading music from the outset?

Perhaps I don’t understand your question, but I don’t see how this is limiting children. Could you please give a specific example?

I think she IS trying to teach children to read music from the outset. In the very beginning, she uses the different colors for the treble and bass clef to make it easier for children to see the notes - which I think is analogous to Doman using really large red fonts to help babies see the words - but the program eventually transitions to reading notes on normal sheet music as the child becomes accustomed to reading notes - much like Doman eventually reduces font size to more normal proportions as the babies’ visual acuity develop. This is in contrast to other methods that concentrate on listening to music and ear training with no sight-reading at the beginning ( Piananimals, Harmony road, Kinder music, Playing by numbers, Suzuki). I also like it that the program also teaches Solfegge and does not limit the child to just learning the note names. I think one of the piano teachers said it best on a piano teaching forum - “this program is not so much a method but rather a tool, one that does not contradict any other method but enhances it by helping students learn to sight-read sheet music in a relatively painless and effective way.”

By the way, this is not meant to be a criticism of any of the other methods mentioned above - in fact, I am planning to have my daughter also learn violin by the Suzuki method. I just think the ability to sight-read sheet music quickly and effortlessly will not hurt her and can only help her in learning to play an instrument. :smiley:

I think she IS trying to teach children to read music from the outset. In the very beginning, she uses the different colors for the treble and bass clef to make it easier for children to see the notes - which I think is analogous to Doman using really large red fonts to help babies see the words - but the program eventually transitions to reading notes on normal sheet music as the child becomes accustomed to reading notes - much like Doman eventually reduces font size to more normal proportions as the babies' visual acuity develop. This is in contrast to other methods that concentrate on listening to music and ear training with no sight-reading at the beginning ( Piananimals, Harmony road, Kinder music, Playing by numbers, Suzuki). I also like it that the program also teaches Solfegge and does not limit the child to just learning the note names. I think one of the piano teachers said it best on a piano teaching forum - "this program is not so much a method but rather a tool, one that does not contradict any other method but enhances it by helping students learn to sight-read sheet music in a relatively painless and effective way."

By the way, this is not meant to be a criticism of any of the other methods mentioned above - in fact, I am planning to have my daughter also learn violin by the Suzuki method. I just think the ability to sight-read sheet music quickly and effortlessly will not hurt her and can only help her in learning to play an instrument. :smiley:

Thank you very much for such an insightful explanation!

I am classically trained music educator and have to add to that list (Piananimals, Harmony road, Kinder music, Playing by numbers, Suzuki) traditional methods as well.

I think, the ground breaking question in music education is ‘to see - or not to see’

Why Soft Mozart doesn’t contradict with any existing approach ever created? Simply because it is just visually ‘explaining’ Grand Staff. There is no any ‘creation’ from my part and no ‘editing’ of original notation. Bass – brown, Treble – green. Colors of tree. Lines and spaces are having the same width – the same track of information by default. Lines notes are red - spaces are blue for an eye to catch the difference. All the meanings preserved and made bold and visual.

Nobody was trying to adjust Grand Staff to the people’s perception before– everybody were trying to find different ways to trick the perception, but to keep Grand Staff the way it is,
I am blessed with parents like you, who takes time to go extra mile to learn about it!

Am I viewing the wrong product? I saw in the beginning, that there are only pictures and no notes?
Only after a long while do you actually introduce the notes?

Sarah, what exactly are you viewing?
What kind of pictures are you talking about?

Pls, take a look at the illustration below.
You also may download a free Demo of the program here: http://www.doremifasoft.com/gentlepiano.html

This is only program in the world that actually introduces kids from 2+ y o to music notation from the very beginning.

Hi Hellene,

I sent you a PM regarding the lesson plan. Did you receive my message?

Thanks!

i just did. Lesson plan had been sent.

I got it. Thanks!!! :smiley:

Also, there some tips http://www.doremifasoft.com/philosophy.html that could b helpful for you

Hellene,

I have looked through the lesson plan you sent me - it is EXACTLY what I was looking for! :smiley:

I have ordered the Soft Mozart Deluxe version, the music fairy tale book, and the flashcards from your website. I am really excited to start this program with my daughter! Thanks!

Great!
Did you read the book mantioned in this topic?

Yes I did! Thank you for sharing your book with us. I have actually read through your book, most of the articles on the Soft Mozart website, and several online forums discussing piano teaching. I think your book is a really good introduction to the concepts behind the Soft Mozart program; I really enjoyed reading it. :slight_smile:

This is really healthy approach for a parent! I wish all the parents would do the same! Knowledge is power…

What the most interesting did you find in forums about piano teaching?

Helen,
I tried downloading (or even reading it on-line) your book, but I only get one page. Am i doing something wrong? How can I get the entire book? I’ really fascinated by your teaching method & agree with your logic. I’m trying to teach my baby as well as the older kids music.Thank you fo ryoue help

can you send me the lesson plan as well . i am really very interested in soft way to mozart and convinced will be the way to teach my young ones at home .
i also found your book very enlightening .
thank you for sharing all this information with us. i have no music knowledge , i consider myself music deaf but somehow and i am not sure how must me something good i did , my kids are so in tune with music , they love listening to music dance sway and sing . my only 2 years old already swap words for some songs and sings his own version keeping the original tune . i think this is amazing for a 2 years old.
please keep these information about music learning coming .
love and blessings
viv