Hi everyone,

Hello to all. I m new to this website and found it very interesting. Just have a question…my son is 22 months old…he speaks little, general words like maa, papa etc. when i read him a book he knows everything that i ask him and show me by pointing his finger. Is there anything that i can do for improving his speaking skill. I m not worried about his speaking habit as every baby has its own development period for different things…jut want to encourage him to speak out. Any suggestions…

hi and welcome to the forum

Get him to crawl. I see results the next day if my daughter crawls a lot. She started saying 2 word-sentence the day after we’d been crawling a lot on the beach.

Practise with him. If he says mama, repeat ‘mama’, ‘ma /ma /ma’, ‘pa’, ‘ta’, ‘ba’, always leaving a bit of time for him to repeat what he feels like. I do this game a lot with my daughter. Each new sound she makes, i create words with it and say it in a fun way and she tries to repeat.

Have you tried the yes/no game? Keep alternating ‘yes’, ‘no’ really quickly (with your baby repeating each time. If he does not want to try, do it with someone else to get his interest). Then say two ‘yes’ in a row. Most likely he’ll say ‘no’ and you can both laugh and try again.

If he says a new word, you can grab him laughingly and say ‘did you just say x? did you?? I’m going to eat you up’
and start tickling him etc. If he gets a fun reaction from saying words, he’ll be more likely to try!

You are right to recognize the time that each child needs to. In according to ideas in how to proceed is that: I imagine ýou are atlking about an unique baby, so when we parents have the first baby we want to do everything to protect him/her, even to take what this baby want before he/she talks what it is, then, my clue for you is: let your baby talks what he/she wants, for example, instead of pointing his finger, insist on him, “what do you want to?” and repeat “is it water”? I made this way and it functioned with my first baby. Maybe it can help you. Now I am in the second baby, and she is so talkative because she has another child near her, talking all the time with her, consequently she developed much more than the first.