Hi everyone, I am excited to find this website and join the forum!!

Hi everyone,
I am new here, but very excited to join the forum. I got to know this website when I was looking for teaching materials for my son, Michael. He will be 18 months old next week and speaks both Chinese and English words.

I am thrilled to see so many dedicated moms and smart kids here. I am also inspired by all your efforts and hard work with kids.

See you all in the forum!

Michael’s mom

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome!!

Although i must say we are not only moms here :wink:

Hello and welcome to the forum! What are you using to teach your son Chinese? I have a 23 month old daughter to whom I am teaching Mandarin. It is somewhat of a struggle since I am the only Chinese-speaking person that she has contact with, and my Mandarin is a little rusty from 6 years of living in the U.S. :smiley: I am constantly on the lookout for good learnng tools to teach her not only the Chinese language but also the culture. So far, I have used Baby Learns Chinese, LR Chinese files, Wo Hui Du books (these are Doman style books for teaching to read Chinese characters - very effective!), chinese storybooks and music CDs, and occasionally, Sesame Street and Pooh cartoons in Chinese. Would be interested in finding out what else other parents are using to teach Chinese… :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your warm greetings!!

Yes, not only moms here, I am sorry! There are also dedicated dads here too! Good for our babies:D

Aangeles, thank you for your message about how to subscrib to 巧虎 from the U.S. I did not expect they do shipping overseas. This program is fun and educaitonal. My Michael loves the episode of potty training particularly. From the comments of all my Chinese friends, I feel the Taiwan 巧連智 is slightly better than mainland’s 巧虎乐智小天地 in terms of music and the program organization. I hope your daughter enjoys the program! BTW, your daughter is unbelievable! I just watched the viedos of her reading in both Chinese and English. She is awesome! Your investment on her early education is well paid off. :slight_smile: .

As for teaching Michael Chinese, I haven’t used any specific books or DVDs. This is because I did not know much about early child education until several months ago I borrowed Doman’s books from the local library. From that on, I start to do research on this field and end up there. :smiley:

I just followed Doman’s book and created Chinese powerpoint slides by myself for Michael to view every day. In addition, I labelled most household items in Chinese so that he can see the Chinese characters whenever we use that item. I am thinking to buy a few Chinese DVDs like you used on your daughter to see if it can speed up Michael’s learning process. Michael’s hearing and understanding Chinese is very good. I have been talking, singing, and reading Tang poems to him ever since his birth. However, I just started to teach him Chinese reading three months ago. You have used far more eduational tools to help your daughter to learn Chinese. I should learn from you!!

If you can read simplified Chinese, here is a website that you can find many children songs and games in both Chinese and English: http://www.ertongle.com/ . For some songs, the picture flash is of high quality; however, for some, the pictures are not very good. Anyway, Michael likes this song, I have a good Dad :http://www.ertongle.com/ertonggequ/200905/04_940.html

I will go back to mainland China for a visit at the end of this September and I am going to check out more Chinese learning tools there. I will keep you updated!!

Again, thank you all for your messages and have a good day!

I apologize if somebody could misunderstand my words. I was only joking :slight_smile:
Really all of us (mothers, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers, and so on lol ) are here to achieve a common goal: our children’s happiness.

Thanks a lot for the link with children songs and games in Chinese. I have a lot of material to begin teaching mandarin to my son, but I barely know a few words :frowning: I´m trying to find time to learn a little but I realize that it isn’t enough

Anyway I think although he won´t speak mandarin at least we will learn a few characters and be familiar with the different tones of Mandarin.

Have a nice day :slight_smile:

Hi aangeles!!

Could you tell me where to find Sesame Street cartoons in chinese? As I know “Zhima Jie” (芝麻街) finished in 2001, and I´ve been looking for that TV series since last year but without success. Are there DVDs from Zhima Jie or american Sesame Street translated to mandarin? :confused:

I got the Sesame Street DVDs here: http://www.mypandapaws.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=sesame+street+elmo&x=0&y=0

They are actually American Sesame Street episodes dubbed in Mandarin with Simplified Chinese subtitles. I had also been looking for Zhima Jie everywhere but couldn’t find them! I actually liked the Sesame Street ones that I have now because all the characters sound like the original voices (even Elmo) except they were speaking Chinese. :smiley:

Thanks a lot aangeles!!! :slight_smile:

I was looking for Zhima Jie mainly because they were more oriented to chinese culture and way of life, but if American Sesame Street have a good dubbing as you say then they are a very good option too!!!

I grew up with american version dubbed in spanish :smiley: and i remember what i liked those characters, although in my time elmo did not yet exist lol

I´ll check the link. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Welcome Michael2009, you will not only be inspired but also you will get to know excellent products that help you in working with your child.
As saunier point out, not only moms or dads, there are also grandmas as is my case