Heya from Australia, South Australia

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself to you all. I am a stay at home mum to a 3 year old son and a 16 month old daughter, we live in Australia moved from Queensland to South Australia 12 months ago.

We have been doing brill kids reader with our 3 year old since he was 6 months old. Our 16 month old also loves it.

I’ve joined the forum as i want to know if anyone knows of a curriculum i can start with my little ones, in teaching them to read, and activities i can do with them to help them to learn and grow?

Eg, Teaching them to remember the letters of the alphabet, sounds of letters etc, which in turn would hope to teach them to read.

Anyone who has success or can give me some tips would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless
Saraya

Welcome to the forum! I am in Brisbane…pity you moved away!
Do you have an IPad? I really liked the preschool prep Sightwords apps for age 3-5. Also I recently got the logic of English app and my son is learning all the phonograms from that ( and showing me just how many he actually knows already!)
From there I would suggest using reading bear and startfall. Both are free websites and great.
Then go to the library and borrow some beginner reads and read one very single day. The librarian will help you out in choosing the best fit.
That will get you past the next step. Your child has an amazing bank of words already in his head you just need a little daily reading practice to join all the pieces together. You will see success in a few months with daily practice.

Thanks for the welcome Mandabplus3,

Living in Adelaide is very different to Queensland that is for sure. (I am originally from the Gold Coast, then moved to the Sunshine Coast and lastly to Hervey Bay before moving here to South Aust). We are all still getting used to the weather here :).

Thanks for recommending Reading Bear and Startfall, i will definitely take a look at them closely. I will be able to add them the lessons i plan to teach them.

May God bless you and your family.

Hi Ya

I’m in Adelaide to and welcome to the Early Learning Journey.

Starfall and Reading Bear are great. Also All about Spelling. From the Institute for the excellence in writing is also great as it has flashcards on all the letters and the sounds they make. It also has an Alphabet you can move around to help your child learn to spell which helps to remember the sounds the letters make.

Hope this helps
Kimberley

I am from Dalby, then central QLD. We used to have holidays at Hervey Bay all the time when I was growing up. Lots of fond memories. Yup even of the sand flies. :slight_smile: I live in the US now. :slight_smile:

Welcome.

I have a 3 year old solid reader. I highly recommend checking it preschool prep products. Meet the Sight Words and their readers specifically. That is what was the biggest element in making my son son a reader.

Welcome!